• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

u-joints

moximouse

NAXJA Forum User
Hey, I've got a '00 xj, 2 inch lift and 33in tires, the rear u-joint goes out about every three months/ 2-3000 miles. is this excessive and what would cause the fast wearing? kinda annoying, at least its only a $10 part...

Excessive pinion angle is my guess. You might need to get a pair of degree shims for the axle perches. How did you get 33s on there with only a 2 inch lift? Did you sawzall the crap out of it? I thought it took like a 5 inch lift to clear 33s on a xj without hacking it all to pieces.

One of the guys on here cleared 37s on 2.5" of lift for a while. All depends on how much you trim and bumpstop.

I would call that excessive U-joint wear, personally. I'd bet on bad pinion angle or mismatched pinion/transfer case joint angles - measure the angle on the TC output, the shaft, and the pinion, if the difference TC to shaft is more than two degrees or so different from the difference shaft to pinion, you have a problem. The pinion should point about 1-2 degrees below parallel with the TC output shaft.

EDIT: I'm clearing brand new 33s with 3.5" of lift and OEM bumpstops in the front, no bumpstops in the back right now. It rubs just a little if I flex but causes no damage, I cut around 1.25" wide strips of metal off the fenders.

transfer case spacers are a band-aid, but they can work up to a point. The real solution is to install a slip yoke eliminator kit and any required pinion shims.

Are you using your nice new pickle fork when changing the u-joints. If not, that must be the problem. :D

Seriously tho, sounds like it's SYE time for you.

Check the pinion yoke. As it ages, and especially if there have been prior failures of the joint left unattended, the little ears that hold the caps tight at the ends tend to wear. Once that happens, the yoke end of the joint will hammer back and forth and wear out quickly, no matter how tightly you sock down the straps.

Make sure you use new straps every time. They stretch a little when you install them.

Check the pinion yoke. As it ages, and especially if there have been prior failures of the joint left unattended, the little ears that hold the caps tight at the ends tend to wear. Once that happens, the yoke end of the joint will hammer back and forth and wear out quickly, no matter how tightly you sock down the straps.

Make sure you use new straps every time. They stretch a little when you install them.

X2, I find it hard to believe you have excessive pinion angle with only 2" of lift so this /\ makes more sense to me. And yes, replacing every 3 months is excessive. My rear drive shaft u-joint is at least 2 yrs old and going strong.

I'm guessing that you're most likely using a Brute Force type U-Joint since you said they are only $10 a pop. Something to try to is maybe a better quality joint like Spicer or Neapco. Little more money but much better quality. Not that that's the definite answer, but something to add to what has already been said here. Good luck with it though, hope this helps. And X2 with what Matthew Currie, said, new straps are a good idea.

On the 00-01 XJs with the LP D30 front axle using a tc drop is a bad idea. It will only be a bandaid for the rear and will create new problems in the front.

SYE, as already recommended, and it way past time to really check the yoke and the pinion bearings.

When you say it is "going out" can you describe the condition of the failed joints?

Back