• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

brake problems, please help been to long since i drove my xj

posa88xj

NAXJA Forum User
so long story short, one thing lead to another and ended up replacing almost every compontant in my 88 4.0 cherokee's brake system. only thing I didnt was the power booster, and the hard lines. I bleed it out ALOT, a total of almost 2 big bottles, so I doubt theres air. but I am having problems with it barely stoping at low speeds. when off the pedal is soft for a pump or two, then it starts to get hard, let it set for a minute, then its soft again. when engine is on, stight to the floor. after pumping a few time I can hear a almost sucking, or dripping sound, its very faint and not long, coming from the little " distribtor" hub or what ever its called coming from the master cylinder. I have checked all the connections for tightness, and they all seem good. The only other problem i see it could be is the brake booster, but all the things i have read so far all point to having to much pressure, or resitance if its bad, not, haveing little to no pressure. could it be the booster?
any ideas or segistions would be awesome as im very sick and tierd of this problem.

Sometimes people get the calipers on the wrong side. This leaves the bleeder at the bottom and the air can't get out. Also, are the rear drums adjusted up tight enough?

And the OP's response is...?

Back