• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

fuel gauge

Superflie

NAXJA Forum User
ok... got my xj back and the tab for the distributor had broken and it was kind of flopping around. So my fuel gauge still isn't working. What makes this work? The fuel pump is working fine, the cps is new, so what else could be the issue? Please any help would be cool. I've looked through the forum and can't find anything. Thanks, Adam

Just for fun, lets pretend that the only person on the NAXJA website that knows what you are driving is--YOU.

The next move is yours.

Fuel gauges are just like wife's. They are never right. Just ignore them and don't pay them no never mind. But don't forget to put a little something in them for time to time so they don't up and leave you stranded.

Not sure about the tab in the distributor? Are you saying the rotor was broken?

I'm a**uming that isn't related to the fuel gauge. The fuel gauge sender in the tank is mounted to the fuel pump "assembly". You have a 91, so you should be able to pull the pump without dropping the tank if the problem is with the sender.

In the Renix years the sender resistance values were Empty = 1 ohm; 1/2 = 44 ohms; Full = 88 ohms. The values were reversed in the later models, but yours is probably the same as the Renix.

Your problem could be with the gauge, the wiring, the sender. The sender is a variable resistor winding that the float arm moves along with the level of the fuel. The windings or contact point of the arm become worn and contact can become sloppy leading to a bouncing gauge when the fuel moves.

Try observing the gauge while a friend or two jostles the rear of the vehicle and see it that contributes to the gauge's erratic motion.

Back