• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Grinding Noise when turining

JeepXJ_90

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 90 XJ with 3in lift and 31's, when i make right hand turns i hear a grinding noise coming from the passenger side front. i got a dana 30 and the faster i go the less i have to turn the wheel to hear it. i've unhooked the swaybar to see if that was the problem it wasn't, taken off the tire to look for wear marks on the passenger side suspension, checked to see if shocks bolted in now im out of ideas and fear it might be internal, i have a 4x4 posi lok on the axle and thats it.......

hub bearing assembly

ujoint im betting

my ds did the same thing a few months back...terrible terrible grinding and such...esp when i turned...

that was a fun day changing that thing let me tell you.....but i did change it and no more noises..

i will tell you that when i took it off ALL off the needle bearings in there where all rusted and trying to sieze....basically couldnt turn it by hand when it was outa the jeep....*hub assy*

good luck with that....use alot of lube and some patience.......it was a battle to get mine out of the '89

Changed my u joint but a still hear a grinding noise when i turn. however its not as loud? could it be something to do with my steering?

unit bearing.
Had the exact thing happen to me, it was quiet going straight, turn to the sid enad it was a nasty noise.
Jack up one side at a time and leave the wheel on.
Grab the wheel and try to wobble it. If it wobbles then check for why it wobbles.
If it wabboles at the knuckle then your balljoints are bad, and could be the noise.
If it wobbles where the wheel mounts then it's the unit bearing and it's almost certainly that grinding noise.

Back