• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

8.25: 27spline to 29spline

7bars4me

NAXJA Forum User
Have a complete 27-spline 8.25 that I got for FREE. I'm wanting to convert it to 29-spline. Planning on using an Aussie Locker and some aftermarket axles (Yukon, Superior, Alloy USA). My question is regarding the carrier. Will the carrier for the 27-spline axles work or will it need to be changed. Obviously, the carrier isn't splined, but will the larger, 29-spline axles actually fit into the 27-spline carrier?

From what I recall: you need the 29-spline carrier, the 29-spline spider gears, and 29-spline shafts. I don't think you can use the 27-spline carrier but someone might correct me.

No you will need a 29 spline carrier, but if your getting an aussie and new shafts anyways just find an empty 29 spline carrier then buy 29 spline aftermarket shafts and your aussie and your set

When I did the swap I needed the new carrier. The ID of the 27 was smaller and wouldn't allow the new 29 shaft's in. Get a full case detroit with alloy shafts and call it a day.

When I did the swap I needed the new carrier. The ID of the 27 was smaller and wouldn't allow the new 29 shaft's in. Get a full case detroit with alloy shafts and call it a day.
x2
A full detroit locker has a carrier in itself..

Back