• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Where do I go? and what do I do?

AIbandit

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
1990 xj limited

The pink vacuum line here has been cut.
IMG_4843.jpg

Does it attach to this somehow?
IMG_4845.jpg

What am I? The aluminum thing ( I know probably a stupid question.)

IMG_4847.jpg

What was I?
IMG_4850.jpg

Yes, the pink line in pic 1 connects to the heater control valve in pic 2. The valve is vacuum operated to allow coolant to flow through heater core when you have "heat" selected.

I have no idea what pic 3 is. Maybe a different angle would help. What does it connect to?

Pic 4 is the IR receiver for the keyless entry. There was a small plastic "dome" that cover it.

Pic 4 is the IR receiver for the keyless entry. There was a small plastic "dome" that cover it.

I was hoping that's what it was but I haven't seen to many limiteds.

I was thinking pic 3 was for ABS maybe

pic 3 is the dreaded antilock braking system pump. it WILL fail. there was a nation wide recall on those things, but dont have the dealer repair it. they only replace a few parts and charge you for the rest. i have/had the same thing. just replaced the entire system with a booster and master from a 96 XJ. do a search and you will find a bunch of info on doing the swap. cheap and easy with little skills. when the antilock system fails, it locks shut meaning you have little to no brakes at all. mine was completely locked out and was only able to move the jeep with braking from the parking brake. no pedal at all. did the swap yesterday and today and it works awsome. have a small leak in one brake line that i will fix in the morning.

the pink line was broken on mine aswell. i took a larger tube that fits tight over the pink one and connected both ends. youll find the other end at the heater control valve inline the heater core hose.

i didnt know what the last one was untill i read this thread. mine looks just like yours does. been scouting the junk yards and they are all missing. no big deal now though. not a big fan of keyless entry to begin with. might be a good place to mount the CB.

2stix, you'd have to get the receiver (or remotes, forget which) reprogrammed to work together anyways. A crappy IR remote system isn't worth the hassle, you basically have to point the remote at the TV, er, XJ or it won't work, and the range is terrible. If you have a little electronics tinkering ability and know of some RF transmitters and receiver modules you could build a good remote system and patch it in though, the wiring on those receiver boards is fairly simple to interface to and is described well in the FSM. At least on a 96 all you have to do to trigger lock/unlock is shunt two different wires to ground with relays or power transistors.

That module in the ceiling looks like the plug for the OBD II system. If you buy a OBD reader (~$20 at most parts stores) you can plug it in and tune your engine.

OBD II port in the ceiling? what?

OBD II port on a '90? what?

... sorry, that just doesn't even make sense. Especially when the question's been answered correctly on the second post in the thread :spin1:

The 90 is a renix..... 87-90

The computer system is designed by renault and bendix hence the Renix.

It is not an OBD also OBD ports are usually under the dash on the drivers side...

Wait, so you can't tune the engine through the OBD II port in the ceiling in a car manufactured before the invent of the whole OBD II system?

2stix, you'd have to get the receiver (or remotes, forget which) reprogrammed to work together anyways. A crappy IR remote system isn't worth the hassle, you basically have to point the remote at the TV, er, XJ or it won't work, and the range is terrible.

Agreed I had one on my 96. It was still better then finding the key while holding something.

alpha stop being a tard.

Last edited:
Agreed I had one on my 96. It was still better then finding the key while holding something.

I bought a cheapo RF Audiovox one for my 88. Works WAY better than any IR one and replacement remotes are cheap and self-programmable.

Is that a sun roof?

Back