• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW-4 Transmission problems, HELP PLEASE

vt98xj

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
The transmission ran fine up until this point, showing no problems whatsoever. Parked it on a slight side slope passenger side up when I got home from work, about 3 hours ago. got in to pull it into my driveway and it wouldn't move forward so I tried reverse. checked the fluid and it was just above the bottom hole (where it is supposed to be) added a little trans fluid and still no forward or reverse. It does surge forward if I step on the gas, it also does this when in Park.

I am thinking it needs a transmission pump but I am not totally sure. Any insight, I don't want to drive my lowered S-10 in the snow!

It tries to move in Park? What did it do in reverse? Does it work if you put the shifter in (1-2)? Any check engine light? I'm assuming we're talking about a 98 yes?

Maybe the Jeep is upset have being parked next to a lowered S10? (kidding!)

yes it tries to move forward in park, when the rpm is raised to 2500ish. it also tries to move forward in reverse. all movement is the same lurch forward, no matter what gear. Tried the shifter in 1-2 and it does the same thing. No check engine light.

I was also thinking it could be the TCM

more like the other way around, the S-10 has been parked for winter, its a V-8 S-10 btw.

The TCM and shift solenoids wouldn't be my first guess, as reverse is purely mechanical with no electronic control. Park shouldn't load up the engine or try to move either. A 98 TCM is also a little smarter than the earlier years, and will throw a check-engine light if it thinks a shift solenoid is drawing too much or too little current. I'm thinking mechanical.

Any chance its something simple is a broken shifter cable? A quick check would be seeing if the reverse lights are coming on when they should.

The reverse lights do work.

It is on its way to my buddies shop, I don't have time to deal with it or a place to pull a transmission, if it was spring/summer/fall I would have it apart in my driveway. Sometimes it is just easier to let someone else deal with it :( I will let the forum know the outcome when I know.

parking brake? stupid I know, but I've done it :dunce:

Or, has it been driven in snow/slush/rain ? Freezing temps ? All our XJ (3) will freeze the rear brakes or E-brake cables when driven in the above conditions.
Makes for a slow start some mornings--I have been leaving the E-brake off in this snowy weather we have--

Wayne

It is official: Tranmssion Pump.

Not too bad considering it has ~168k on it. So the choice was either to replace the pump or get a newer used trans. The pump and newer trans cost roughly the same amount. newer trans only has 75k.

New Trans + Labor =~$700

It is official: Tranmssion Pump.

Not too bad considering it has ~168k on it. So the choice was either to replace the pump or get a newer used trans. The pump and newer trans cost roughly the same amount. newer trans only has 75k.

New Trans + Labor =~$700

Wow, secondhand AW4+tools+a few hours = a lot less money!

Back