• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

passenger side clunking

builder

NAXJA Forum User
When 4 wheeling i hear a mild clunking from passenger side.when climbing a hill in low i hear a definate clunk.new trac bar,tie rod,draglink,shocks.everything is greased and tight.coil spring retainer tight,wheel lug nuts were tight,control arms are all tight also.axle u joint in good shape.new motor mounts were recently installled also.lifted jeep just off ground and no wheel movement..any ideas? unit bearing clunk when bad?

Bad motor mount??
never mind saw new motor mount installed/

I know you mentioned it but it really sounds like slop in the track bar mount either side. Its also a possibility (small) that your control arm bushings or mont holes may have slop in them & the hole could be slightly egged out, look for any wear that would indicate a bolt sliding back and forth.

I know you mentioned it but it really sounds like slop in the track bar mount either side. Its also a possibility (small) that your control arm bushings or mont holes may have slop in them & the hole could be slightly egged out, look for any wear that would indicate a bolt sliding back and forth.
aftermarket trac bar and mount all is tight,checked control arms for slop thanks.

whether your bolts are tight or not have nothing to do with bpe's. both sides dont have to make noise. my buddies xj was just having the same problem but on the drivers side and they fixed it

Ujoints, Balljoints, TRE and check all bushings
visually the passenger axle u joint looks fine all tre's are newer and tight and greased.thinkin balljoints on that could be it,but i have no play when lifted slightly and moving wheel in any direction.unit bearings come to mind also...thanks for the input blue..

Check engine brackets and bolts to be sure all are in good shape. Also carefully inspect bracket on uni-body side for cracks, etc. (4.0, right?)

I used to have the lower control arms make clunking sounds even if the felt tight. The steel sleeve inside the bushing was a cheapo desifn (had a seam in it) and it would just crush and not hold the LCA tight. I put a seamless steel bushing in the lower control arms and problem was solved.

Back