• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

axle problem

userbmx1315

NAXJA Forum User
welli blew out 2 bearings in my rear d44. the pass side axle bearing and the pass side diff bearing.

so my question is. doi need the replace ALL the bearings?
my other, when i do replace the bearings will i need to re-set up my gears? or could i just swap the bearings?

25 views and no response? do i need a complete master install kit or just new axle and carrier bearings? then check the gears ?

Just replace all the bearings and you should be O.K. Flush out the diff housing thoroughly to remove any wear metal from it and install a strong magnet on the inside of the diff cover. Make sure you do one bearing at a time and make sure you get all the shims put back in the same place. It would be best to take a look at the gear pattern and backlash after replacing all the bearings. If the diff was not setup right to begin with, that could have caused the bearings to fail.

Actually it would be BEST to pull a pattern and check the backlash before pulling it apart

well i ended up breaking off one of the bearing 'ears' off the carrier. so now i'm going to be rebuilding the whole thing. just need a press, and some set up bearings.

got a master install kit from National Drivetrain. got it in 2 days so i'll be trying to get it all fixed here soon.

if i dont have set up bearings, how bad will it be to keep pressing on the beaings i want to use?

Without a true R&P bearing puller its very difficult to avoid bearing damage,I would definately invest in set-up bearings.

You can buy set-up bearings cheaper than the price of new bearings.

Back