• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Odd electrical issue

hupo224

NAXJA Forum User
Hello again friends. So as of last night (driving to atlantic city) I lost my interior lights, radio and gauges. Randomly out of no where too. I checked fuses and all seems to be fine. Which confuses me the most.

Also I have recently installed a "push button" start. As when I turned my key all the way on it wouldn't start. The push button goes straight to the starter and that's how I been able to start it.

So what happens is I push the button and the starter would slowly turn with delays then turns a bit faster and finally the motor starts. BUT I have to hold my foot on the gas for a little bit because if I don't she will just stall right out.

Any ideas? I don't know if this helps but for some reason I smell rotten eggs over by where my battery is.

Thanks again.

Sounds like a bad battery is part of your problem. Shorted (sulfated) plates can cause overcharging and that smell. I would look at that first.

X2. Check out battery and charging circuit first. Once that is resolved, it also seems that you may have ignition switch issues, which could make the accessories turn off.

Model year helps get better advice.

Definitely start with the battery, get it fully charged and load tested.

Clean both ends of the primary cables, then check their resistance with an ohm meter--should be near zero.

Renew your grounds, battery to fenderwell, head to firewall.

You are currently signed up for a special automotive education opportunity:

When you have a problem, fix the problem. If you do a workaround, fine if that is what it takes to get you home or to the weekend, but then fix the problem or things will keep getting worse and you end up with so many hacks and workarounds you get completely lost.

Your absolutely correct. Thank you. Tomorrow I will check over all of these things and hope to source the problem. I'd like to eliminate the push start. I searched for a good while and checked everything but couldn't figure out where the problem lays.

NSS for an auto, clutch safety switch on a manual (is so equipped), the starter circuit is simple--key, remote rod, ignition switch, starter relay (NSS/Clutch switch interrupts the ground to the starter relay), solenoid, starter. As long as the primary positive lead between the battery and starter are good, and the primary ground between the battery and engine block is good, and you have a good unibody to engine ground, then fixing the starter circuit is as simple as pie. Mom's apple pie!

Turn the key, remote rod acts on the ignition switch, ignition switch passes 12 volts to the starter relay, if the NSS/clutch switch provide a ground to the starter relay it will pass 12 volts to the solenoid and BAM!

Thanks for the awesome reply. I will check all those things tomorrow. if I had Internet at home this would be a lot easier. I'm going to print all of this. I have a NSS since it's an automatic. I wish I could find a PDF haynes some where. Where would the remote rod be?

Also I Remember a tutorial floatng around for cleaning the nss. But she shifts fine and the reverse lights do turn on in reverse. My jeep does shift a little slow though. I need to flush the fluid badly in my trans.

Last edited:
Backup lights and shifting are different contacts within the NSS than the starter circuit. Just because part of it works doesn't mean it all works.

Exactly.

Here is JP Magazine on the NSS: http://www.jpmagazine.com/techartic...eep_cherokee_neutral_safety_switch/index.html

Follow the directions in the sticky about searching, use Google and filter for Naxja, lots of threads some with pictures.

The remote rod runs down the inside of the steering column. Sometimes they will pop out of the ignition switch, more often the ignition switch comes loose so things get out of adjustment.

What kind of backwoods retard did you buy this Jeep from? You have had nothing but problems with it!

So I checked my fuse box under the hood and theres a little blue 15 amp fuse that was blown. I replaced that and my accessories came back. I can even use my remote now. I don't know why it blew but I'm going to try and find out.

So for kicks I put the jump pack on my battery and started right up without even having to hold my foot on the gas. She idled fine. I can start it without the pack but it takes like 10 seconds for it to spin enough to turn over. I'm going with the notion that my battery is no good. I'm going to test it tomorrow.

I believe at least four people suggested that you get a new battery approximately 4-5 months ago. So yeah, I'd go with a new battery ASAP, winter doesn't make batteries very happy.

My grandmother gave me a battery a few months ago. But its been sitting a long time before she gave it to me. Im selling my dirtbike and am going to buy a new battery.

Sorry but I don't wan to post a new thread and annoy people. I was leaving through a trail today because i was low on gas. Well the last snow storm knocked down a lot of trees and I couldn't turn around wihout highly risking running out of fuel. Well I noticed at the gas station i was leaking oil. Looked like it was coming from the rear main seal. Also my transmission slipped really bad into first gear a few times. But shifted fine on the fly. Time to do some work tomorrow. I need to straighten a lot of things out. Both me and my xj.

Back