• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front tow points

Phil

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
Ok, I've got a hitch receiver in the rear, but I need the front. I've got a Smittybilt tube bumper that's been on there since the truck was almost new, so I'd like to keep it.

It seems like my options are: strap directly to the bumper, get a front reciever if it fits beneath my bumper, have some shackle mounting tabs welded to the bumper, get tow hook brackets, or get a new bumper.

What do you think? I'd like it to be relatively cheap, but I don't want to do it halfway and use junk for recovery.

Thanks

Gotta have brackets or the bumper mounts need to be replaced with brackets. Cannot hook the tow points directly to the bumper.

Ok, so like the BPI bumpers with the d-ring shackle tabs are designed to have it there? So then that cuts me down to tow hook brackets, front receiver, or a new bumper?

Hey Phil, how's the MJ coming?

I made a tow shackle bracket about a year ago out of 1/4" plate. It bolts to the same 4 places as all the tow-hook brackets, and it has a hole (3/4"?) for a standard tow shackle. It made the tow shackle hang just below and behind the stock bumper. It has proven itself on a couple of occasions, though like most tow-hook brackets, it would probably bend under a strong side-pull.

I'm not using it anymore as I have now swapped leaves up front with a new front crossmember and bumper. It is sitting at my parent's house in Grass Valley, and I'm sure we could arrange something if you want it. I also have several D30 shafts you may want also. PM me about prices, cheap of course.

I've got the RE 5.5" ordered, from Dirk @ DPG, said the order was processed today. Going to go pick up my new 8.25" sometime soon, and then have it set up to go under the truck. Then I need to find out when I can put it all together, and order some pizza and beer for whoever can help me. And, of course, my tow points. I'm about to PM you.
Edit: You've got PM.

Last edited:
Back