• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wrong wheel caps

Crusher16

RRC President
NAXJA Member
I bought some center wheel caps off of eBay a while back since the ones on my honeycomb rims are bubbled and nasty looking (they are the black ones with plastic clear Jeep title in the middle), but the new ones don't seem to fit. They are too small, but they fit perfectly into the rim, just that the plastic tabs don't catch inside the rim. Anyways I can maybe bend the tabs a little to make them catch? Or another solution?

New ones:

Last edited:
Are they broke or worn out?

1985xjlaredo said:
Are they broke or worn out?

Not broken. Not sure if they are worn out.

You have caps for the newer model alloys; they are smaller than the older style. You need the black plastic type with the Jeep logo; I don't know of any other type that will fit. The black type came on the Honeycombs and 'Ten Holes'.

Runnin'OnEmpty said:
You have caps for the newer model alloys; they are smaller than the older style. You need the black plastic type with the Jeep logo; I don't know of any other type that will fit. The black type came on the Honeycombs and 'Ten Holes'.

Hmm. Some guy at my school had these on his honeycomb rims, and his was '96 I think.

If you want to use them, try wrapping the clips with double sided tape and pressing them in.....

cherokee_1993_country.jpg

There we go...

Anyways, double sided tape eh? Any other methods?

Last edited:
Use a bity of JB Weld to hold 'em in. After all it's not like you have to ever remove those caps for service so there's no reason not to (The JB will come off the aluminum pretty easy but may form an increadble bond to the plastic)

We need a set of the smaller center caps to fit a set of 96-98 GC Ltd. 16" wheels my son got for his '95 XJ. They look awesome, but all of the caps we have laying around are of the larger size. Where on e-bay would I look? Thanks

92boombox said:
We need a set of the smaller center caps to fit a set of 96-98 GC Ltd. 16" wheels my son got for his '95 XJ. They look awesome, but all of the caps we have laying around are of the larger size. Where on e-bay would I look? Thanks

Took me a while to find these on ebay. They were the only set I could find, and thats why I bought them.

I used a few dabs of RTV. They have never fallen off, but come out (with a little effort) when you need a tire change or a ballance. The RTV cleans up OK, I found some Silicon solvent, that works pretty good for cleaning RTV residue off.
I sanded down one set of stock (bubbled) caps and painted them with aliminum paint, looks good. The match is near enough.

Back