• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I NEED A REPLY RIGHT NOW.

allybeehee

NAXJA Forum User
Ok. 17 year old girl doing u joints. all springs are out. they WILL NOT budge. 99 cherokee 4.0L. 4x4. ive been hitting and prying for 2 hours. what do i do now? ive done everything right. i know i have. they will not come out. ive hit every side. and soaked them with PB blaster. ughh!!!

Do you have a bench press, a socket bigger then the u-joint cap and one that fits where the u-joint is? if you know what i mean.

hard to ex plane how im from the hills so we do what ever we can seems to work a lot better then pry bars cause they slip the forks dont

what the hell are you talking about? How would you use a pickle fork? Pics? On top of that how the hell would you use a pry bar to remove a u-joint?

I have never seen any method that did not involve using a smaller die to press one side of the joint into the larger die. Either with an actual U-joint tool, or with a vise and 2 sockets.

umm to pull u joint out u kinda have to do some prying i seen some that were stuck so bad had to drop the axle with drive line and chain them both up to 2 trucks and pull but like i said im a red neck and dont do things like others but to pry forks r good

ok. this is my first time doing this. how the hell do you get out the caps on the u-joints. you obviously have to have the two of them going opposite eachother.. you had to have the caps off to get it in, in the first place..ugh!

xjowner86 - I'm pretty sure I don't understand what you're talking about at all. You might be talking about axle shafts or something? Even then I have no idea how you're suggesting doing this.

OP - glad you got those out, hoping mine aren't too bad, they've got tons of rust on them and are probably the original 1996 U-joints, so I'm expecting the worst.

EDIT: to put them on, you press them in after putting the U-joint cross inside the yoke, make sure you don't tip the needle bearings over and don't get grit in there

like this - http://www.automedia.com/U_Joints_-_Installing_New_Universal_Joints/res20010201uj/1

umm to pull u joint out u kinda have to do some prying i seen some that were stuck so bad had to drop the axle with drive line and chain them both up to 2 trucks and pull but like i said im a red neck and dont do things like others but to pry forks r good

Is this guy talking about tie rods maybe?? :wstupid:

Back