• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Removing leafs from the pack

A little history to start.

So I originally started with rustys 4.5" full leaf pack kit, needless to say the only thing I have left of that kit are the leaf packs which netted me nearly 6" and have broken in and settled at about 5". The rustys coils started right at 4.5" and settled at 4" so I purchased a set of RE 5.5" coils and now that everything has had time to settle in I'm right at 5".

I have drop brackets up front, wheel to wheel tie rod, JKS over axle trac bar bracket so my front end suspension is smooth and the steering bump free.

Now on to the rear, I have these high arch springs with the stock shackles so my shackle angle is terrible. I recently purchased a set of used TNT boomerange shackles from a member so I can address my rear suspension issues.

So what I want to do is add these boomerange shackles and remove some leaves to keep my current ride hieght while improving my shackle angle and flatten my leaf pack to allow more flex and a smoother more forgiving ride.

I've read many many threads on adding leaves to add lift but none on removing them, I have a six leaf pack and I need to know which leaves I absolutely need to keep and which ones I can experiment with removing.

Thanks for your advice

Kelvin

I did stuff like this to a few of my leaf packs. I would remove the 3rd leaf from the top and lose an inch or so. I tried removing the 2nd from the top but that would cause the main leaf to bend a little near the bushings because there was no support underneath it.

Are your leaf springs pulling the shackle all the way forward? I installed RC 4" springs and it pulls the shackle forward till it touches the surrounding metal. I had no choice but to use a 1.5" shackle to get some clearance.

It's not coming into contact with any of the surrounding metal but the shackle is almost perfectly vertical which makes for a terribly bumpy ride.

Yeah that's how my shackles are too. It's a little bumpy but i tamed it with some weight in the back. Might want to look into shackle relocation brackets.

I think these boomerange shackles and a softer, flatter leaf pack will improve the ride greatly but if it doesn't I'll be purchasing the HD offroad relocation brackets along with their frame stiffners, you can't beat the prices he sells that stuff for either.

I've removed the bottom 2 leafs off my Rusty's 6.5" leaf pack. It's settled down to where the front coils have settled. Shackle angle is near 45* and it definitely rides much smoother than with all the leafs in. My kidneys have been thanking me.

I've got a rustys 4.5" kit with spacers and longer shackles. I wanna go down to 4.5" even for a lower COG but keep the longer shackle. On top of that, I'll be looking at adding the HDO relocators. So I'll need to hack up the leaves pretty good I'm thinking.

I'll be keeping an eye on this thread.

i had a 4.5" spring on one side with a 1" shackle, and a 5.5" leaf with stock shackle on the opposite side. It rode horrible shackle hit the frame all the time so i took three of the leafs out and put a 1" shackle on, it rides much better thinkin im gonna put another leaf back in though she sits a tid bit crooked right now... not noticeable to the untrained eye though

I have Rustys 6.5" leaf packs. Sounds like someone already did what im about to do great! should i remove one or two of the bottom leafs? (I also have 6 degree shims)

DSCF6916.jpg

What about this one? Which leaf would you remove? This is a RC 4" spring pack. I netted almost 5" from it. I would like to bring the rear down an inch and soften up the rough ride. My shackles are vertical too.

If it's brand new, give it some time to break in and settle, but I would probably take out the middle one

They're 4 months old. The first week I went shockless and then I ran 300 lbs in the cargo for the first month to settle them. They are still rough. I guess the name is the game lol.

Never mind. I bought some 30" AT's and put them on today and the ride is 100% different LOL. My LTB's made it so rough and bouncy. I actually forgot how nice the xj can ride with all terrains. :laugh:

I felt like I was driving a Cadillac. Man those long arm kits are worth every penny.

Removed two leafs today and i am so pleased with how it flexes and drives now!! much softer but im hoping that connecting the sway bar will help that on the road.

Back