• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

air filter SOAKED in oil

bcmaxx

NAXJA Forum User
Buddy of mine just got rid of his tj for an 88 xj with a 4.0 , he just noticed a lot of oil on the drivers inner fender, turns out the air filter is fricken soaked with oil and its pouring out the air box. Ive have read some on the baffling on the inside of the valve cover getting plugged. Is this normal and can be fixed or way excessive blow-by and we should be scouting out an engine?

Some do an inline filter from the valve cover to airbox.. could try that and see how much oil it filters.

Same kind/similar type of filter used for air compressors to help keep water out. I believe if you search you will find threads with pics.

Before a**uming blowby, try servicing the CCV system, one of the most neglected systems on the XJ, and IMHO the root cause of more blowby complaints than actual mechanical wear in the engine.

Before a**uming blowby, try servicing the CCV system, one of the most neglected systems on the XJ, and IMHO the root cause of more blowby complaints than actual mechanical wear in the engine.

Agreed. I had it on my 88 Comanche 4.0 at around 80k and was able to resolve it by cleaning the CCV system. Here's an article (there are many articles that delve into this) that gets into causes and fixes.

http://jeep.off-road.com/jeep/article/articleDetail.jsp?id=257985

Back