• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

86 xj wont run

xjowner86

NAXJA Forum User
ok well im not really new i just forgot my user name and all that but its my old 86 xj i had well im going to buy it back but it wont fire. it cranks but wont kick over. someone had the timing 180 out on the dizzy and plug wires all mixed up so we put at top dead and then moved the dizzy 180 still wont run. any answers and its the 2.8 liter

Well, something is missing: spark, compression, fuel/air mixture, or everything is there but at the wrong time.

You have to determine what element(s) of the equation is (are) missing, we can't help you with that part. Once you know what is missing, post back and help will be forthcoming.

everything is there. but when i got it they had the timing 180 out this was over a year ago i ran it like that for a while then stoped running well it ran but cap was bad. sold it and the guy fixed that ran good then one day one of his buddys said it was off 180 on the dizzy so they moved it back dont know if it runs know or not if doesnt im thinking the timing chain is off a tooth

Can be something as simple as spark plug wires missed the correct plug-cap. When i replaced mine, 3-4 ran rough, 2-3 didnt run but turned over. All I did was look at my buds XJ and wrote it down and put in my xj manual.

well we did that and nothing but did notice that the coil plug doesnt click on like all the others so might try that if it doesnt then im thinking its the timing chain and if it is then i will need to know the timing marks for that. but when i had it it before like number one plug was at 5 and 5 at 3 and 3 at 1 was like that on the other side too

any help would be great i just need to know the timing marks and if there r links on the chain that need to be lined up like on nissans. i need it back on the road by wednesday

the timing gears on the crank and cam don't have a little mark or dot on them? clean them up really good, and try to get them both to point straight upward, then put it back together. while you have it apart, you could order a new chain and gear set from vatozone or o'reilly for cheap, and the new ones will have the marks for sure, and you'll know that there isn't enough slack in your new chain for it to jump off again. then, when you are ready to put it all back together, on the harmonic balancer, there should be a little notch on it, with a little scale stamped or forged into the timing cover. line the notch up with '0' and that should be exactly top dead center, and your rotor in the dizzy should be pointed right at the #1 spark plug wire. then all you hafta do is get your firing order right, and if you have fuel, spark, and compression, the beast should live! good luck, man!
the key is to make sure that the harmonic balancer and timing gears are clean, and free of gunk that would keep you from finding the little notch on the balancer, and the little dots on the gears.

ya on mine i have 5 marks and lines on the harmonic balancer and idk wish on cause there of them seem like they will work but the book doesnt tell me what one is the right one

well, you can bring it up to tdc, then you know that particular line is tdc on the balancer. how many marks are on the top timing gear that goes on the camshaft? if it's only one, there's your answer! point it straight up! the gears only go one way. i still recommend replacing the timing chain and gears. this will give you a clean slate, and it is cheap insurance that you won't hafta do this again for a while. also, the new set is likely to be more clearly marked.

ok i will put it at tdc and see were the mark is at and then see if my gears are pointed right

TDC on the compression stroke, not the exhaust stroke.

"Even a broken clock is right twice a day."

Try looking into your ignition control module in your dist. I had the same problems with my 2.8L. Replaceed it and it ran fine.

well did notice that the 2 plugs on the coil from the harness the clips r broken so its my trail toy now and hit big holes they come off so im thinking that was it

ok well im not really new i just forgot my user name and all that but its my old 86 xj i had well im going to buy it back but it wont fire. it cranks but wont kick over. someone had the timing 180 out on the dizzy and plug wires all mixed up so we put at top dead and then moved the dizzy 180 still wont run. any answers and its the 2.8 liter

I'm sure it's just me expecting people to use simple English for communication purposes. Then again, you may be directing your quest for help towards 5th grad texters. Dunno.

Good luck!

I'm sure it's just me expecting people to use simple English for communication purposes. Then again, you may be directing your quest for help towards 5th grad texters. Dunno.

Good luck!
between that and telling someone to use two trucks and some tow chains to remove U-joints, I'm kinda going :huh:

Back