• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

60k Mile maintenance

CLTSV650

NAXJA Forum User
Sorry for just busting in here and asking a random question. But I was hoping you guys could convince me to do my own 60k mile maintenance. Here's what I want done:

1. Oil/filter Change (I can do that, but 18.90 for someone else to do it might be worth it)
2. Diff Changne (I can do this, probably with better fluids)
3. Tranny Case (Never done this)
4. Auto tranny flush (Never done this)
5. Coolant flush (Never done this)
6. New plugs and wires (I can do this)
7. Tire maintenance (I can do this but get it free from tire dealer)
8. Chassis Lube (Never done this, not sure on what lube to use, but I have the tool)

I was quoted at $460 to get all this done.

What's your opinion? It's a cherry silver 2001 Limited XJ with new tires. I can follow directions and have all the tools.

1-3 definitely simple enough for you to do
4-5 can be done, might be cheaper/easier for a shop to do.
6. EASIEST on the list.
7. Have them do it, if it is free, and you trust them.
8. I use the red grease.
You can do this all for less, but I guess if the tire rotation is free, then have someone else do it.

There isn't anything on your list that can't be done by yourself, using higher quality parts than what SOME shops use.

Even the tires can be done better by the owner. Set the tire pressure equally on all four to start, you can pick a psi or start with the values on the door sticker. Scribe a fat white chalk line across the face of the tread on all four tires. Drive. Stop and check how the chalk line is being scrubbed away. You want it to wipe off evenly across the entire face of the tread. Once you have deduced the correct pressures make a note of it. Not many tire shops will do that for free.

First of all, I applaud you for keeping up with maintenance items on your XJ. Dollar for dollar, basic maintenance including all fluids is the best investment on reliability and longevity of your vehicle.

If you don't already have one, buy a maintenance manual. Chiltons/Haynes are just OK but kind of generic and have been noted to have a few errors. The factory service manual is the most comprehensive and the best, but also more expensive. Can find them on ebay sometimes.

Dropping the fluid from the transmission is easy to do; there is a drain plug on the AW4. Then replace with the 3-4 quarts that come out of the pan. You don't get ALL of the fluid out that way but if you do the above more frequently, you keep fresh fluid in there. Use DEX/MERC III compatable fluid. If you want to change/clean the filter (basically a screen), you need to drop the pan which is a bit more involved. If you search, you'll also find a way to perform a "poor mans flush" for the transmission.

When you flush/fill the coolant, if the thermostat is original, get it OUT of there. Use an OEM, Jeep or Stant Superstat 195 degree only.

Last edited:
Sorry for just busting in here and asking a random question. But I was hoping you guys could convince me to do my own 60k mile maintenance. Here's what I want done:

1. Oil/filter Change (I can do that, but 18.90 for someone else to do it might be worth it)
There is a reason they can do it for $18.90. Cheap oil. Get some high quality oil with plenty ZDDP in it. I recommend Valvoline VR1 10w-30 for dino. Use a Napa gold or Mobile1 filter. You can also use a larger filter. The mobile1 number is 301. You can also go synthetic.

2. Diff Changne (I can do this, probably with better fluids)
Unless you plan on dunking your diffs in water and mud often I recommend synthetic here.
3. Tranny Case (Never done this)
Easy. Use the same fluid you use in the transmission. Remove fill plug first, then drain plug.
4. Auto tranny flush (Never done this)
I wouldn't do a tranny flush. Its only 60k miles. Pull the drain plug and drain and refill.. should be around 4 qts. You can also pull the pan and clean the filter, but some don't think its necessary as the filter is just a screen. If you are anal you can change the fluid every other oil change. Use DEX/MERC fluid, not the Chrysler ATF+ crap.
5. Coolant flush (Never done this)
You can pickup a preston flush kit at many local auto parts store. However, Id o feel that the equipment that shops have does a better job of this.

6. New plugs and wires (I can do this)
You don't have wires. use NGK plugs. Anti seize on the threads.
7. Tire maintenance (I can do this but get it free from tire dealer)
unless you have a tire balancer or an alignment machine there is not much you can do on your own aside from checking the air pressure.
8. Chassis Lube (Never done this, not sure on what lube to use, but I have the tool)
The red stuff is good, but I like the green stuff better... names escape me at the moment.

I envy your mileage.

It's a cherry silver 2001 Limited XJ with new tires. I can follow directions and have all the tools.

Wait! You have a nine year old Jeep with only 60,000 miles on it?

Is a 20 year old Jeep with 123k just as good?

Back