• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I'm having a little drippage after passenger d30 shaft install.

kevermt

NAXJA Forum User
Having a little dripping issue after shaft install, is this normal?(that's what she said)

Let it ride or replace the inner seal?

A little gear oil dripping isn't all that unusual after an axle change, especially if the axle on the downhill side was changed. You may also just have folded over that seal.

So if there is a buttload of fluid under the axle in the morning I probably buggered the seal? I was pretty careful with the removal and install of the shafts.

Thanks

Park with that side downhill and see how much comes out if any. My pass side leaks a bit, pretty minor, I also have alloy usa outer seals which may help

If you drained the differential oil before removing the axle, there should be very little gear oil coming out of the tube.

Conversely, if you pulled the axle without draining the gear oil then you can expect some fluid to run out.

How is your fluid level?

I always seem to hae a bit of gear oil leaking, even after I installed new inner seals as well as Alloy USA outer seals. However check your shafts where the seals ride, sometimes the metal on the shafts wears away a bit and you can have a ridge. I bought some newer spare axle shafts that do not have ridges and use those currently as the gear oil doesn't leak as much with them....my old shafts with the ridges are not my trail spares.

Additionally, has anybody had problems greasing their Alloy USA outer seals?

I was able to grease them properly before but now I can't even insert any grease in to them! I connect the grease gun and it is extremely hard to pump and no grease goes in. I have removed the zerks and inspected them and nothing is gunked up or clogged or anything.

What gives?

I always seem to hae a bit of gear oil leaking, even after I installed new inner seals as well as Alloy USA outer seals. However check your shafts where the seals ride, sometimes the metal on the shafts wears away a bit and you can have a ridge. I bought some newer spare axle shafts that do not have ridges and use those currently as the gear oil doesn't leak as much with them....my old shafts with the ridges are not my trail spares.

Additionally, has anybody had problems greasing their Alloy USA outer seals?

I was able to grease them properly before but now I can't even insert any grease in to them! I connect the grease gun and it is extremely hard to pump and no grease goes in. I have removed the zerks and inspected them and nothing is gunked up or clogged or anything.

What gives?
No problems here, try new zerks. They do fail

My fluid level is fine but its still dripping. Should I put some RTV on the shaft on the outer side of were the shaft sets on the seal? How do those Alloy USA outer seals hold up?

Don't do that! The seals ride on the spinning shaft surface, so that'll either make it worse or not help at all.

The RTV will most likely peel or flake off from the friction. Won't help.

The best thing to do would be to find one of those shaft seal problem solving sleeves that slides onto the axle shaft where the gouge or dip in the surface is, in essence actually making the shaft in that spot a bit thicker than stock so that the seal can get a nice tight fit on the shaft.

Back