• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Quick CPS question on 88

bigalpha

On my 88 MJ, I just replaced the CPS.

Took a minute for the truck to start up; it's been sitting for about two weeks. Once it got running it blew a cloud of black smoke and then the idle leveled out.

However, I'll hold the gas down a little bit and it'll run fairly smooth then kind of get rough.

Is it possible to install the CPS a notch off or something? If so, would it still start?

Are you referring to the CPS/CKP engine speed sensor/crankshaft position sensor or the CPS/CMP synch pulse signal (stator)/ synch signal generator aka cam position sensor in the distributor?

Details would be helpful. Describe exactly what led you to replace the CPS. Assuming "crank" sensor here?

Condition of tuneup hardware always should be reviewed when symptomatic so you don't chase your tail. Plugs, wires, cap, rotor, fuel filter, air filter, check fuel pressure.

CPS/CKP in the trans bellhousing.

I have another thread on my no-start issue. The CPS was generating no voltage while engine was cranking, so I replaced it.

I'm just trying to verify I installed this thing correctly. Is there only one way to install it?

Back