• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

3.07 to 4.10 install questions for 8.25

JeepCherokeeGuy99

NAXJA Forum User
So I finally found some 4.10 gears to swap into my 29 spline 8.25 and since I'm going to be doing it myself I want to make sure it gets done right. As a result, I have a couple questions.

1. I have the ring and pinion and pinion bearing. Is that all I need to do the swap?

2. Any tips on making the swap easiest as possible?

3. anything else I should be aware of before I take mine out?

I've never done one myself, but I would use the shims from the old set to get the right backlash and they line up right.

Unless you got a carrier with your gears, then no, it is not a direct bolt-in. A master install kit is definitely your friend when it comes to gear swaps. The kit will include any shims you would need to adjust the backlash.

Have a shim kit handy. The odds of the new pinion using the same shim stack as the old one is slim.

can i use the same carrier from the 8.25 27 spline axle that i pulled the gears out of?

The shafts are larger in the 29 spline, so I think a 29-spl carrier is needed. I do not think that the 27-spl carrier will fit the larger shafts. Save yourself some time, and just get a detroit and be done with it.

The shafts are larger in the 29 spline, so I think a 29-spl carrier is needed. I do not think that the 27-spl carrier will fit the larger shafts. Save yourself some time, and just get a detroit and be done with it.

crap well that would suck. Hopefully his 96 is a late model with the 29 spline. and if i had the money for the detroit i would do that.

Then, save some money for a detroit.. or use some 27-spl shafts..

If this is your first gear set-up then i recommend someone walking you through it hands on.

You will also need the side adjuster tool for the 8.25. And no, the 27 spline carrier will not work with the 29 spline side gears but you could use your 29 spline carrier without any issues.

Search and you will find this subject has been covered many times.

If this is your first gear set-up then i recommend someone walking you through it hands on.

You will also need the side adjuster tool for the 8.25. And no, the 27 spline carrier will not work with the 29 spline side gears but you could use your 29 spline carrier without any issues.

Search and you will find this subject has been covered many times.

correct me if im wrong but i couldn't use my 29 spline carrier since i had 3.07's and the carrier break is 3.55. Which means i would need a 29 spline carrier from a 3.55 8.25 in order to fit the new 4.10's

and i did search, and didnt turn up any results suprisingly. I had to go to JF for info.

There is no carrier break for the 8.25. Don't trust everything you read on JF about the XJ.

The carrier break on your D-30 in the front is 3.55

I guess you are off the hook with a new carrier, Nick. But you should get new shims, and maybe a spare pinion bearing, in case you screw it up. And why not get an aussie locker while you are building the thing?

I guess you are off the hook with a new carrier, Nick. But you should get new shims, and maybe a spare pinion bearing, in case you screw it up. And why not get an aussie locker while you are building the thing?

when is your next day off? dont forget, your helping me do the swap! And dont say tomorrow cause my gf would kill me if i worked on my jeep on valentines day. And ill prob wait on the aussie, im still debating on whether or not to just keep the lsd since it spends most of its time on the pavement.

Back