• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

136A alternator upgrade and 1995 PDC

95XJ_Cbiscuit70

NAXJA Forum User
Looking to do the alternator upgrade and have reviewed the articles on it via naxja search. One question I have is that there was a link to another webiste discussing the required upgrade of the line from the alternator to the PDC, the artile notes that the input from the alternator enters the rear of the PDC on 1990 and newer models and modifications to replace the factory set-up are not recommended.

http://www.olypen.com/craigh/charge.htm

Has anyone upgraded the line from the alternator to the PDC on a 1995 model? Did you fabricate seperate fuse assembly and how did you tie it into the existing PDC? Does anyone have photos of what they did?

It seems as if I just need to add the fuse prior to the PDC and connect the new line to the front of the PDC instead of messing with the internal wires of the PDC (per link above). Does this provide adequate protection similar to the factory? Last thing I need is to burn it to the ground!

Installation of the alternator seems straight forward yet I can't see doing it if I can't upgrade the wiring to the PDC to take full advantage of the available output.

Thanks in advance.

CH's article for the later models seems quite simple.

Just leave the original wires and fuses in place and add (piggy-back) the new 4 ga wire and fuse.

Here is a link to a better style fuse and holder, the ANL: http://www.donrowe.com/accessories/fuse_anl.html

Should be able to buy these in your area, if not this particular manufacturer.

Check out 5-90's cable upgrade link for more info as well.

Simple solution to the new charging lead?

- Disconnect the OEM charging lead and get it out of the way.
- Remove the two MAXI50 or MAXI60 fuses in the PDC labelled "Generator" while you're about it.
- Install the new charging lead - alternator to fuse block.
- Install fuse block (ANL, AGC, MAXI, Mini-ANL all have ratings that will work. ANLs are easiest to find and most rugged of the lot, for single fuses. MAXI requires parallel fuses.)
- Install fuse block-to-distribution lead. This lead may run to the PDC input post or the battery + post (either one - these are the easiest points to access.)
- Alles gut!

Maybe you can use these pictures of my battery cable improvements. 5-90 has a great kit. I picked up the Mega fuse and spares at pic-n-pull. They are stock in 90's model Fords (i.e. Taurus, etc.). My electrical has changed a little, but I am still using a 98 Dodge Dakota 136amp alternator.
Jeep147.jpg

Jeep143.jpg

Good luck!

Back