• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Leaf Spring Removal

blacknine

NAXJA Forum User
So the eye bolts on my springs are frozen in the bushings, and I have resorted to cutting them out, as per what I found searching on here. But I cannot cut through these things, i have wrecked 5 or 6 sawzall blades, and I cant get my dremel to cut all the through. I have cut one side of the rear bolt off, but the other side is just having none of it. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I should use? Short of a plasma torch or something.

I'm pretty sure I took a grinder to mine...just the head. I was able to get one unbolted, but the other had to get cut. Then drove it out with a hammer and punch. Why they put the nut on the side they put it on is beyond me.

I started to cut mine and gave up after going through too many blades as well. I used a torch to heat them up, and hit them with an impact. And lots of PB Blaster. Get them hot and then spray with the PB and it wicks it in.

Well, the rears off. Now I'm working on the front. I actually got the bolt to loosen without breaking until it was about 3/4 of an inch out, then it started spinning. I was hoping it was just the bushing but now that I look at it, its still going into the other side, where the weld nut is. Any suggestions on this?

Well, the rears off. Now I'm working on the front. I actually got the bolt to loosen without breaking until it was about 3/4 of an inch out, then it started spinning. I was hoping it was just the bushing but now that I look at it, its still going into the other side, where the weld nut is. Any suggestions on this?

Did you soak everything down with PB Blaster (or similar loosening agent) first? If not I would strongly recommend spraying the nuts and bolts down real good. Try the pre-heating method that was mentioned earlier in the thread as well. Usually between PB and some heat you can get stuff loose.

I PB'd everything to hell and back for a week. I still ran into issues, at this point, the bolt is just spinning so I dont know what good it would do.

Ah, well in that case you might have to break out torches, cutters, grinders, hammers, punches, drills, assortment of cusswords, and just hope for the best. :D

Good luck!

Well, finally got the damn spring off....one down one to go. Looks like I'm going to be cutting into the pocket and removing the weld nuit. At this point I'm just thinking of using a locknut because I do not have access to a welder at all and I want this heep back on the road. We will see if it gives me trouble

Back