• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

? about steering boxes. i need a new one

rcliftedXJ

NAXJA Forum User
so like the title says, i need a new steering box. everywhere i have checked, new ones are 180 bucks. so i was thinking if im going to spend that, i might as well go with a psc box for around 350 or so. what do you all think i should do?

If you've got the money, I've heard very good things about the PSC boxes. But if you're on a budget, a good-condition used YJ box is a great upgrade. It's a 4 bolt box, as opposed to our XJ 3 bolt box so it's a strength upgrade, and it's fixed ratio vs. variable ratio so the steering is much crisper.

Also, if you're upgrading your box, check to make sure your pump doesn't need to be upgraded too. Good time to do both.

yah im not on a huge tight budget, but i dont want to do the full upgrade to hydro assist. i was looking at the psc box that comes prepared for hydro assist and they are 379. wich doesnt seem to bad to me. and i under stand what you mean about doing the pump at the same time. usually if one is going then the other is not to far behind it. i think psc's kit is like 130 dollars or something, so it might be a good time to just bite the bullet and do it. especially since im going to 35's this year.

If you've got the money, I've heard very good things about the PSC boxes. But if you're on a budget, a good-condition used YJ box is a great upgrade. It's a 4 bolt box, as opposed to our XJ 3 bolt box so it's a strength upgrade, and it's fixed ratio vs. variable ratio so the steering is much crisper.

Also, if you're upgrading your box, check to make sure your pump doesn't need to be upgraded too. Good time to do both.

if you dont mind, whats the difference between the fixed ratio and the variable? what does that mean?

yah im not on a huge tight budget, but i dont want to do the full upgrade to hydro assist. i was looking at the psc box that comes prepared for hydro assist and they are 379. wich doesnt seem to bad to me. and i under stand what you mean about doing the pump at the same time. usually if one is going then the other is not to far behind it. i think psc's kit is like 130 dollars or something, so it might be a good time to just bite the bullet and do it. especially since im going to 35's this year.

On the same topic, does it matter what year or model YJ the box is from? I think mine is creaking and popping so I am considering upgrading while I'm working on it.

Last edited:
On the same topic, does it matter what year or model TJ the box is from? I think mine is creaking and popping so I am considering upgrading while I'm working on it.

Creaking and popping is usually the uni-frame, not the box. Chances are the uni-frame is cracked and deformed, allowing the box to work loose a bit and that's what's causing the noise. Check it all out down there thoroughly. There are several kits that plate and stiffen the inner and outer uni-frame rails, it's a worthy upgrade.

if you dont mind, whats the difference between the fixed ratio and the variable? what does that mean?

Ha, you would ask that. I'm not savvy enough to explain it, I just know fixed ratio steering boxes are more precise and crisp than variable ratio. Maybe someone with more knowledge can chime in on the science behind it...

fixed rate the steering turns at a constant, fixed rate due to constant gearing

variable or progressive rate the steering turns at different speeds in the middle versus the ends of their cycle, due to differences in the gearing teeth spacing. this allows you to make precise turns with small motions and big turns with medium motions

On the same topic, does it matter what year or model TJ the box is from? I think mine is creaking and popping so I am considering upgrading while I'm working on it.

It's actually a YJ box, not TJ, that you want. Not sure on the year, but TnT Customs offers a 4 bolt steering conversion kit so I'm sure they could tell you what year box to get. Check it out -

http://tntcustoms.com/4-boltsteeringconversion.aspx

EDIT: just called TnT and the guy on the phone verified that a late model YJ is best, pretty much anything after '92.

Last edited:
Thanks! I'll have to crawl under the Jeep and inspect the frame. Also reading up on the Durango box. Sounds like a faster ratio which I think I'll like better. For at least the next few years, this Jeep won't be on anything bigger than 31's so I don't need the high gearing of the YJ box.

Back