• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Loose steering

seabass1858

NAXJA Forum User
i have a problem with my jeep wondering. i would go down the road and i can turn the steering wheel left and right to go streight, that beeing said the allignment is perfict, the ball joints are good, the wheel bearings are good, tie rod endings, trac bar, and stablizer is good. what could it be? all the hard suspension parts are perfict or new.

What year jeep and how many miles? If all other components are good I would suspect steering box or steering shaft. My XJ has 131k miles on it and the box is getting sloppy. Feels like I'm steering it with a limp noodle. :D

have someone turn the wheel back and forth rapidly and while they're doing so, take a flashlight and look at the upper connection/slip joint where the upper and lower steering shaft meet near the firewall.

I'll bet $10.00 thats where your slop is.

there is a rubber bushing in there that wears out and starts to allow movement. It's supposedly not replaceable, but a new shaft can be
had for about $100.00 from a place like www.morris4x4center.com

I've been told the ears of both shafts create a safety mechanism that
does not allow steering failure if the bushing wears out, but as with
mine, yours (if this is the problem) needs to be addressed ASAP

have someone turn the wheel back and forth rapidly and while they're doing so, take a flashlight and look at the upper connection/slip joint where the upper and lower steering shaft meet near the firewall.

I'll bet $10.00 thats where your slop is.

there is a rubber bushing in there that wears out and starts to allow movement. It's supposedly not replaceable, but a new shaft can be
had for about $100.00 from a place like www.morris4x4center.com

I've been told the ears of both shafts create a safety mechanism that
does not allow steering failure if the bushing wears out, but as with
mine, yours (if this is the problem) needs to be addressed ASAP

^X2 I've had this problem on my chevy 1500. Check the shaft.

After checking the shaft, if you still haven't found all the play, have your friend wiggle the wheel while you observe the pitman (output) shaft of the steering box, and watch for side play. This is also very common at the age you're at, and you can't adjust it out. It's new bearings or new box.

Back