• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Leak from Filter

LOUD02Special

NAXJA Forum User
I just changed my oil, using the standard Mopar filter, and now it's leaking consistently from the filter. It never leaked like this before. The old filter was there for quite some time, about 6 months and 2600 miles of driving. It was also very difficult to remove, ended up breaking and having to replace the pressure sending unit in the process. The filter is as tight as it can get without tightening it with the filter wrench. Do these filters need be that tight or is it the dreaded adapter O-rings that I read about via Yucca-Man?

What year Jeep? 4.0s had different filters from 87 to 90 and then 91 up. Parts guy coulda given you the wrong one. One has 20mm threads (early) and later has 3/4" threads. 5281090 should be the part number for 91 and later IIRC.

The filter needs to be quite snug but that's all. I hand tighten it, then give it a smidgen more with the oil filter wrench. Overtightening results in a struggle the next time you change oil.

Pull the filter off, clean surface and check for doublegasketing but that usually results in a massive leak.

If you have another filter available, try that. If it still leaks, be sure you're isolating the leak properly; it definitely could be the o-rings from the adaptor.

x2 on what Jeepguy said about the old o-ring on the oil filter. If you're double gasketing the filter that could be causing your leak. I've seen them leak an amazing amount of oil when the old o-ring stays left behind from the old filter.

The old ring stayed on the old filter, I checked it after removal to see if it had gone brittle or seized on to the mating surface since it put up such a fight coming off. I'm gonna try and tighten it with the filter wrench a bit first. After reading the how-to on replacing the adapter, I'm really dreading it. One thing I noticed is that most filters, once it tightens up when threading it on, there's not much play left to further tighten. This particular engine, both in removal and installation has a larger range of tightening the filter down that requires more than just a slight turn. This time I'll make sure to take the pressure sensor off so I don't smash another one. That was a $28 mistake I'd rather not make again.

Back