• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Mystery tapping noise?

hupo224

NAXJA Forum User
Hello everbody. Hope some of you in the right areas are enjoying the snow.

So i went over something pretty hard the other day and ever since its been making a tapping noise when I let off the gas peddle to slow down. (decelerating) And the noise slows as I slow down. It's coming from right underneath the the driver side back seat under the floor.

What should I look over to find this problem?

Thanks again.

Oh my god, your Jeep is going to fall apart. The structural integrity has been severely compromised, the unibody is damaged and your XJ will break in half. Stop driving it.

But seriously, check your exhaust system. I've bashed mine several times up into the floor pan and it can make quite a racket if it is just touching. Also check the exhaust hangers.

--Matt

Haha thanks egon. My and my xj feel the love. It is definetly some rotating. It's more of a popping noise. From what I can see with my eye and a quick shake down everything feels fine. I was thinking of putting Jack stands under my rear axle and letting the wheels spin in drive and maybe I can see something.

I've also had my downstream O2 sensor shield come lose and bounce between the trans tunnel and the driveshaft. Very, very annoying and worry-some if you don't know what it is.

--Matt

Oh my god, your Jeep is going to fall apart. The structural integrity has been severely compromised, the unibody is damaged and your XJ will break in half. Stop driving it.

But seriously, check your exhaust system. I've bashed mine several times up into the floor pan and it can make quite a racket if it is just touching. Also check the exhaust hangers.

--Matt
ITS GONNA FOLD LIKE A TACO

I'd bet on exhaust too.

ITS GONNA FOLD LIKE A TACO

Yup.

See.

cid__0308081101.jpg

--Matt

What did they even do to that poor thing? I had an engine bouncing around in the back of my MJ (literally up against the tailgate) for like a month and it didn't taco, and that thing is RUSTY.

i had a noise like that on my 93. found out i chipped a tooth on my fly wheel because i put a new starter on it. so you might check the fly wheel its three bolts. hope this helps you

0lllll0 ALEX

Aren't those the ones that got recalled for the rusted frames? Or was it the funky brake software? Sticking gas pedal? Lethal floor mats? Whatever, it's a Yoda.

As far as the ticking, my old Firebird made a ticking/scraping sound for a while, turns out the rear drums had the flaky, scale rust that was rubbing the backing plate. See if it isn't something like that, or possibly an internal part has become dislodged, and is rubbing a rotating part.

The noise which is more of a "popping" you can kind of feel under your ass. Idk I'm waiting for my parents to get back home so I can put the xj up in the air and look.

got so damn drunk last night :)

Back