• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

3.55 gears in a 4 cyl 5 spd undriveable?

moparjim1987

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 95 4cyl xj and a 97 6 cyl xj, the 97 is lifted, 31's, etc etc, and the 95 is stock, even to the tire size. thinking of trading the 4 cyl for a good car for the woman, and my 6 cyl needs gears. if i was to swap the axles around, and swap the shafts between the four housings, (297 joints vs. 260 joints and 27 vs. 29 spline) and re-install everything back accordingly (the 6 cyl with the 4.10's and the 4 banger with the 3.55's), would the 95 be undriveable? as long as it won't be like burning the clutch up to pull out every time, i think it would be good enough to get rid of, right? right now, this is going to be the easiest way for me to get 4.10's under my 97, and still be able to afford an aussie for the rear when tax time rolls around. thanks for the look.

While swapping axles around, I drove a 4cyl / 5spd with 3.73's and 31's. It was "driveable" but pretty wimpy. It'll clutch up OK since 1st gear is pretty low but, you've got to rev it pretty high on the gear shifts or it dogs out on the higher gear.

Jim - I'd do that, then do a 4.0 swap into the 4cyl. You can probably pick an engine and all the other junk you'll need off of a rotted out jeep on craigslist for less than the cost of parts for gearing the axles nevermind labor. Just find a rotted out donor with decent miles and buy it whole, transplant anything you need.

well, the 97 is a four door and already has mods done to it, and the four door is stronger body wise, so, i'd rather just swap the whole housings between the jeeps and bolt everything back up the way it was but with my 6 cyl. jeep with 4.10's......

While swapping axles around, I drove a 4cyl / 5spd with 3.73's and 31's. It was "driveable" but pretty wimpy. It'll clutch up OK since 1st gear is pretty low but, you've got to rev it pretty high on the gear shifts or it dogs out on the higher gear.

x2 on this, my old 2 door had the 4cyl and i got a 8.25 with 3.55 gears, felt like i was going to twist the frame taking off from red lights, you gotta wind it out pretty good for it to actually move

Back