• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

A/C Compressor or Heater Core or both???

Masty9

NAXJA Forum User
Here goes.

1996 2WD AW4.

I have heat but no AC.

I have liquid on the passenger side floor carpet, both front and back, but I think its just the volume of liquid running from the front to the back.

Got my brakes changed and the guy said that it is most likely a rusted and now leaking heater core.

Any suggestions? Sound right?

My AC also does not work, is the heater core something I should have repaired at the same time I have the AC looked at (I think its just the clutch in the AC and I can here the serpentine belt moving it and making it make a loud horrible noise)

Is it coolant or condensation? Do you smell that sweet antifreeze smell inside? Is the coolant resevoir low? If not it could be a clogged evaporator drain.

Interesting. VERY interesting. I replaced the radiator about 6 months ago, fluid is holding fine, no leaks. I am guessing if the heater core was leaking then it would be causing a coolant leak/shortage? Especially with the amount of fluid in the carpet at time, sometimes a small puddle.

The liquid I get from the carpet has a clear brown look. I guess it could just be condensation mixing with dirt from the carpet.

Your thoughts?

If your A/C doesn't work at all its probably not condensation but still could be rain water. Do you park under trees alot? Alot of buildup of debris around the cowl leads to these kind of problems. Of course your windshield could be leaking too.

could be a heater core. try a by pass under the hood and see if the fluid stops coming in. i have a phantom leak in the corner of my windshield on the pass side that results in water on the floor "sometimes" when it rains look for that. also any rust on the floor boards could be a hole.

Back