• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Longer Pitman Arm?

RubiconKid95

NAXJA Forum User
So the nuckle or joint on my steering linkage where the Tie-Rod meets the Drag-Link is hitting the sway bar disconect bolt on the passenger of my axle.

I had to move the pin the disconect goes onto over to the left side so it is facing outside instead of originally facing inside that joint point would hit it and it still hits the back of the bolt.

I have RE Quick Discos and Sway bar drop brackets. I have the 5.5 RE lift w/ coil spacers. So what I am thinking if I get a longer Pitman Arm, (If they make one) will that drop my steering linkage down about another inch to where it wont hit it?

Hopefully this had made sence. Thank you!
-Scott

swaybardisoc-1.jpg

Its all about the geometry,you problem is common.You dont want to change the pitman arm unless your going to relocate your trackbar.There are several solutions,do a search and decide whats best for you.I personally re-did my sway bar mounts.
swaybarlink.jpg

You can change your castor setting to rotate the front axle a bit for that needed clearance when not flexing. I have the same problem and plan to rotate the upper control arms just enough to give the clearance I need without adversely affecting the way it handles.

That wont fix your problem once you flex, however. If you put your front end up on jack stands and allow your axle to drop, you will notice your drag link contacts the sway bar and rotating the axle wont provide the clearance you need.

You might need to cut your sway bar brackets off and relocate them higher to allow for that needed clearance. I plan to do that before hitting the trail...as soon as I fix all the other higher priority problems my Jeep has.

Cut/Relocate the links.

Changing the length of your pitman arm is going to affect your turning radius (box runs out of travel before knuckle does ... or vice versa).

Joe

Back