• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Coolant + Exhaust Leak?

RoadTrippin

NAXJA Forum User
Cleaning the Jeep today I noticed I was a little low on coolant. Its about halfway between the full and add line, Ive had this problem for a while but figured it was nothing due to the fact it would take about a month or two to go from being full to halfway. Now it is starting to bug me, head gasket is fine, no cracked cylinder, no visible leaks (no pooling or dripping of coolant anywhere), when I squeeze the upper radiator hose there is pressure, not enough to make the hose explode if I pinch it but enough that I can feel it building up. Ive had it pressure tested, it sat for something like 6hrs hooked up and no leaks. Where the hell is the coolant going? I use a mix of half coolant half water, water evaporation maybe?

Also when I was under the Jeep looking for the leak this morning I noticed that water drips from the exhaust after the cat but right before if not from the muffler. Condensation or leaky exhaust?

I should mention I have 120k on it and as far as I know the water pump is stock. I havent had the system flushed as fas a I can remember within the last 2 years so Im wondering if this would help in some weird way?
Also, the windshield is not fogging so Im pretty sure it cant be the heater core

TIA

Last edited:
I used to drive a cavalier that had a leak some were in the engine,witch allowed coolant to be burned off in the combustion cycle. no visable leaks or puddling as well. i would burn through a gal. of 50/50 mix about every 3 weeks. the exaust was a very dense white smoke and had the smell of coolant. a little water from the exaust pipe is normal.

Back