• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Whats Next?? Mod Suggestions

mpro1

NAXJA Forum User
I would like to get some suggestions about where to go with this truck
http://img182.imageshack.us/img182/6852/jeep1lr5.jpg

1990 Jeep Cherokee Sport 2dr 5spd

3.5" Rubicon Super Ride

Old man emu Shocks

4.0 original w/203000miles ax15 original

herculiner interior floor

Used mostly on soft sand for Surf fishing.

tire size 30x9.50

I like the stock look and road handling but am itching to do more improvments

Or.... get rid of it and start another cj 7 project i used to own a nice 1980.

The CJ7 is not as practical for holding fishing & offroad gear as is the XJ, hence the debate

Any comments suggestions ???

mpro1 said:
Any comments suggestions ???

Can't tell from the photo if you have any recovery points or not, but if you don't I'd make that your next priority.

What would you suggest?? Type?? Style??? bumper winch ect...

any recommendations???

Thanks for the reply theres no better source of info than people with similar interests.

My $.02,
Ive got a Wrangler and an XJ. The Wrangler is a fun ride but the XJ is better for what you descibe, hands down. More room, more security and just as capable.
You should definately be looking at getting recovery points. I like receiver hitches over towhooks but thats just an opinion. A front receiver also makes a great place to mount rod holders.
Some other things to look for:
Recovery equipment,
Good tool kit,
CB,
You do alot of sand, how about some OBA or at least a nice portable compressor.
Waterproof seat covers,
How about one of those airbag jacks that Hi Lift makes. They seem like a great idea for soft sand.
Extra 12V outlets mounted in the rear cargo area for the DVD player or cooler,
Dual battery setup for extended trips using the above mentioned accessories,

EDIT: My mistake, Hi Lift doesn't make the airbag jack, Its actully ARB that makes it (exhaust jack) http://www.arbusa.com/exhaust_jacks.php

Last edited:
All great ideas ........ I've owned and maintained this truck since 45,000 miles

and would agree that it is as capable as my old cj7 .....I've got alot of confidence in this trucks capabilty.....I like to keep things top notch and really enjoy wrenching and projects (been doing it since i was 12)....i knew you guys would have some really good ideas keep them coming. (i have looked for the fsm in the past but never found one theres nothing better than the FSM)

Do you guys think i should have gone with 31" x 10.5" tires or will this strain the stock drivetrain?? The tire shop convinced me to buy dunlop 30x9.5..all terrain these tires are a year old and are wearing quickly.

also what seats to replace the stock ones?? Ive been sayng for years that i was gonna get rid of them)

PS id like to know about your rides. Thanks

Last edited:
1) recovery points, should always come first. Even the most built rig needs a little tug now and then.
2) Rock-rails, no XJ should be with out rock rails, there not that expensive considering the amount you will use them.
3) 31x10.5 is a good tire size for a 3.5" lift.

Rockrails

A winch. You can go ANYWHERE with a winch. I've talked with so many people that say "I put lockers in first before the winch." So you will be worse off and stuck in a harder place to get out of?

With a winch you can drag yourself through anything. I'd wheel a honda CRV with a winch.

anyone know what winch set-up was on the red xj on the cover of 4wd hardware summer 2005.....

i like the simple look of this set-up....but don't know if it is custom or aftermarket would like a setup like this as long as it functions well(not just look good).....

thanks

Back