• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Power steering pump question

Xjcrazy57

NAXJA Forum User
I went to the jy 2 hours from my house snd they sold me a 1990 pump but mine is 1989 4.0 automatic. I looked up the parts number and they are different. Does that mean it will not work. Thanks in advance.

It should work and fit fine. There has been a reduction in boost over the years, and the pumps may very slightly with that, but I don't know when it changed. Physical fit should be no problem until the change in belt tensioners in either 96 or 97.

Well I put the new pump and bracket in and it worked even though it was a 90. Thanks for the advice! The new pump seems louder and little stiffer than my last one. Is that normal?

Did you bleed it?

Put a new one in mine a few weeks ago, and the new one came with instructions for bleeding after install.

It's pretty easy. Get the front wheels off the ground and set on jack stands.
With battery disconnected and pump open (take off top/dipstick), turn key to on, then turn wheel from lock to lock (20 times iirc). Make sure you check that your fluid doesn't get too low. You should see very small bubbles coming up thru fluid.
Reconnect battery.
Start engine and repeat lock to lock process. Don't forget to keep checking level.
Keep going until you stop seeing the bubbles.

If it's cold and the fluid is thick, let it sit for a while after lock to lock turning, as the bubbles will take a little more time to rise to the top.

When you think it's good, go for a drive. Repeat if needed (you should be able to tell).

I just changed out new (reman) pumps on both my 88MJ and 90XJ. NAPA sold me the same pump for both. The pulley style was different, not the size. 90 XJ has a plastic spoked pulley with metal bushing and the 88 MJ is all solid metal. The MJ pulley sits flush with the shaft, the XJ pulley sits at a shoulder about 1/4" inside the bushing.

All working fine after flushing and bleeding. I used about 3.5 qts. to flush each one until it ran clear.

Back