• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

231 upgrade

nicksjeep

NAXJA Forum User
im looking into going to a 4to1, doubler or some way to lower the gears for the tcase. what is the best option? can i go to a diffrent tcase like a d300 or one out of a rubi? i want to go cheap and easy if that is even possible. i have looked around the web site but dont have a full understanding of it all. i would appreciate the advise

4:1 doesnt come cheap, New they are pretty pricy..............
Tera kit@1100
Atlas@2300
NV241OR@1800
You could still do a doubler or a flipped 300,dont know the $.

There are quite a few used 241s on car-part.com if you do a nation wide search for under $1200. Also, there is a new one on ebay for $1500.

I think the best way to do this is be patient.

Check here, Pirate, and other boards classified sections, and you can occasionally find 4:1'ed 231s or 241OR's for under $1000.

Just be willing to wait for it.

a dana 300 flip can be done for sub $200 (including the case itself) if you're crafty... to cut up a 231 and put it in front of a 300, you're looking at the cost of the case + $50-75 (i think...) the only thing i've found with a cut up 231 doubler that i can't seem to find a firm price on is the coupling shaft from the output of the 231 to the input of the 300.

a dana 300 flip can be done for sub $200 (including the case itself) if you're crafty... to cut up a 231 and put it in front of a 300, you're looking at the cost of the case + $50-75 (i think...) the only thing i've found with a cut up 231 doubler that i can't seem to find a firm price on is the coupling shaft from the output of the 231 to the input of the 300.

Don't forget the price of new driveshafts.

Crazy thought...

How much are gear reduction hubs? (don't know if there is an product for portal boxes for our axles)

also, might want to check out a klun-v underdrive from gear vendors.

not sure on pricing or availability for either of those. Just a thought...

Crazy thought...

How much are gear reduction hubs? (don't know if there is an product for portal boxes for our axles)

also, might want to check out a klun-v underdrive from gear vendors.

not sure on pricing or availability for either of those. Just a thought...
There was a post about that recently. There is a company who makes a portal style adapter for a D44 I think?

There was a post about that recently. There is a company who makes a portal style adapter for a D44 I think?

yeah that was it, John.

someone either got a narrowed waggy d44 or one of those hen's teeth south american front d44's, and then a MJ d44 and put some companies portal boxes on them...

At least I think that was the application.

since the reduction is downstream of most of the drivetrain, the stock spline count axles tend to be very durable.

Might end up being too much money, but worth a thought if you're going to drop $2k-$3k on a stak or atlas or something like that.

Back