• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

gears for my waggy 44 swap

great-white

NAXJA Forum User
ok, i read the sticky on axle swaps an gears...
still need some advice

99 xj, aw4 auto...

i scored a matching waggy 44 set to swap into my xj, it has 2.72's so im regearing. Read in the sticky that 4.88s on 35" tires is goot, but if you live in a hilly area 5.13"s are the way to go. I live in newengland an its very hilly here ha. I plan on running 35's an keepin this my dd was planning on 4.88's, but just looking to see if its the right gearing. Also i heard the 5.13's would make my pinion gear weaker...

thanks in advance for the input every 1

ok, i read the sticky on axle swaps an gears...
still need some advice

99 xj, aw4 auto...

i scored a matching waggy 44 set to swap into my xj, it has 2.72's so im regearing. Read in the sticky that 4.88s on 35" tires is goot, but if you live in a hilly area 5.13"s are the way to go. I live in newengland an its very hilly here ha. I plan on running 35's an keepin this my dd was planning on 4.88's, but just looking to see if its the right gearing. Also i heard the 5.13's would make my pinion gear weaker...

thanks in advance for the input every 1

Well I have 4.88's in my D44/D30 setup and it's been working good for me so far. I'm planning on a full width swap and will probably get something near 4.88's.

Also, the ring gear is usually the gear that gets weaker, as the gear ratio get's lower (number goes up), you have more teeth on the ring, so the teeth are thinner. The same applies for the pinnion gear, but pinnion teeth are pretty thick to begin with.

i always hear people complain about not having enough gear
i never hear people complain about having too much gear

with that said i run 5.38's with my 35's
i have a couple buddies with 5.13's with thier 35's

we all love it.

while on paper its true your gearset becomes weaker with lower gears, but i have had 5.38's in my front 44 for 3+ years and it has survived several broken shafts and a detroit locker. i'm happy with it.

Last edited:
Back