• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

87 XJ

(1) depends on the drivetrain.
(2) probably 4.10:1 with a 4cyl/2.5 and a 5spd.
(3) look at it and find out

What he means is theres prob a tag on the axle covers that tells you unless its been taken off by somebody look at the pumpkins..

that's not what I mean, if you're referring to me...

(3) look at it and find out means - a high pinion will be above the centerline, a low pinion will be below the centerline. That easy.

gearing is probably 4.10:1 because that's what almost all the 4cyls were unless someone ordered different gears specially for it.

cool :thumbup:

Hope you get lucky! 4.10s / 4banger XJs are, as far as I can tell, pretty rare around my area of the country. I've only seen 4banger YJs/TJs. There are some but not many, I've even heard tell of two 2.5L XJs with AUTOMATIC transmissions and 4.56 gears rotting away in a private junkyard near here, but never seen such a beast.

HP D30 or HP D30 CAD 84-99, LP D30 00-01.

3.07--used with 4.0L engine / manual transmission
3.31--only available on older (pre87?) 2 door XJs with "Fuel Economy" package
3.55--used with 4.0L engine / automatic transmission
3.73--found in some XJs with the towing package
4.10--used with 2.5L engine usually, and older XJs with the "Off-Highway Vehicle" package.

May be a tag on one of the diff cover bolts with the ratio on it.

All of the above can be canceled out by PO changes.

Back