• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Intermittent Blower Motor

Jeff-97XJ

NAXJA Forum User
97XJ, 4.0, 231J, AW4:

Last month my car was sitting at the airport while I was out of town. I got back late at night and temperature was in the teens. There was ice on the windshield and when I put on the defroster on, the blower did not work at all. I did smell smoke- the electrical kind, and that smell persisted for a while.

On the way home, when the XJ heated up, the heater worked, all speeds, perfectly well.

Now, when it is cold, I can count on the blower not working until the Jeep warms up.

Any ideas?
Thanks

just a shot but...mayeb theres water leaking through the cowel and getting on the motor and freezing it. id pull the motor out(aint very hard) and look at the housing and air box for water stains or ice if its cold enough. i used to have a problem with my vent door opening and it was from a little water getting to it and freezing. i found a tiny crack and sealed it up.

A couple months ago my blower stopped working except on the highest setting - 98 XJ 4.0 auto with factory (not working) AC if that helps. Any thoughts? Weather was above freezing and it was dry when it started.

Notoriously poor electrical circuit.

Look for melted HVAC switch/connector; melted wiring; melted connector at the ignition switch; poor/failing blower motor; melted wiring/connectors at the resistor pack and or blower motor.

Here is a DIY upgrade: http://naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1002774

97XJ, 4.0, AW-4, 231J.

I diagnosed that my problem was the Motor all along. My best friend was an auto mechanic all his life and when I called him up he told me to wait until my motor wasn't working, then gently hit it with a hammer, and if it starts working then the motor is bad, probably the brushes are stuck, that is why the hammer loosens things up.

ANYWAY- now that it is diagnosed, what motor should I buy? The Jeep motor lists for 230.00 and the dealers are out of them right now. I will have to have a mechanic install the motor as the A/C drier sits right in front of it and will have to be removed, and A/C evacuated and recharged, which is beyond me. I hate to buy a cheap motor from the parts store, they are around 100.00 cheaper, but if they don't last, then the labor to have the job redone would be a big waste.

Any suggestions?

Thank you so much for your help.
I will try this myself now that I see it can be done without A/C removal.
I'll save some needed money due to your help.
I appreciate it a lot-
Jeff-97XJ

It's not that horrible of a job - I finally did mine last month after freezing my butt off for the first two months of Winter. Pulling the dash or A/C apart isn't necessary; you can get at everything from the engine bay (IIRC).

FWIW, Joe's right in that Chrysler really should have spent another forty-eight cents per unit on these. I've been through at least two (and more probably three) resistors in the five years I've owned this Jeep, and it seems like once they start going the motor's sure to follow at some point.

Back