• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Brake Cailper Rust

garr

NAXJA Forum User
less than 6mos ago I did the ZJ rear disc swap on my 8.25. I turned in the cores & got a set of Loaded calipers from Autozone http://www.autozone.com/autozone/ca...Rear&fromWhere=&searchText=&_requestid=677170

I was snooping around under the Jeep today looking for a spot to mount my onboard air receiver tank when I noticed how RUSTED to rear calipers were, I mean rusted much worse than the front,
Now I have never had calipers rust like this, I cleaned them up good with brake cleaner after the install to get all the brake fluid off them.
I looked at my other vehicles calipers & they all looked good.
Is it just the crappy autozone calipers?
Should I have painted them before I installed them?
What gives?

Maybe.
Yes.
You live in NY!

My brake calipers aren't rusty at all and I live in MA... I can put a football through my floorboards.

Rotors, yeah, I'd expect those to rust. My calipers aren't rusty though and I'd be fairly unhappy if they were.

My brake calipers aren't rusty at all and I live in MA... I can put a football through my floorboards.

Rotors, yeah, I'd expect those to rust. My calipers aren't rusty though and I'd be fairly unhappy if they were.

I just took a good look
My XJs front calipers are fine, The rears look about 10years older than the front even though they came out of a Morse box all shiny just a few months back!
I guess I wont be getting calipers from auto zone anymore!
I will probably wait till winter ends, clean them up & Paint them caliper paint.

Back