• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How do you think these HID's will do on the roof?

austinaubinoe

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, so My plan is to call up JCR and get them to make me a light rack, like the one they sell, but a little bigger to fit some KRAGEN HID's.

This is the best deal I could find for 4 of em with covers. ($425)

http://www.sidebysidesports.com/kr7hidoflics.html

I mean that sounds like a damn good deal to me when I look at the price of some KC 130W daylighters as the other choice. And the lower wattage is a huge plus.
Ive read a couple things about these lights and everyone seems to say there not bad, even JP mag said they liked the light output. but does anyone have any first hand experience with them, especially on the roof?

I know I could just spend like $300 on some hella 700's but I think the HIDS will be alot brighter and worth the money.

(also looking forward to the added HP of the Red anodized rings :D)

Thanks for any input!

IMO I would never put something that expensive on my roof. for a couple reasons.
1) Ive heard far too many times of people having their auxiliary lights broken by vandals. all it would take is a rod, and 30 seconds for you to out 400+ bucks.
2) with the type of wheeling I do, pretty much anything Ive tried to put past the body of my XJ has gotten ripped off, and the same has gone for all my friends. luckily my snorkel has made it, but east coast wheeling often puts you in tight spots, whether its going under trees, branches, etc.
3) I had 4 cheapo lights that i put on my roof rack for a while. they worked great offroad. sure they were no hellas, but do i REALLY need to see 800 yards down the trail....no. think about it, when your day wheeling, what are you really focusing on. no more then 10 yards infront of you. the wallyworld lights i had supplied plenty of light, were cheap, and when i ripped everysingle one off on a trail one night, i wasn't too upset about it. i was out 60 bucks. had it been hellas..i would have cried.
5) look at a lot of truely built rigs, and see how many of them have put extra money into expensive lighting...very few. its just too fragile of a part to invest a lot of money into, where the outside of rigs are normally beat by the elements

I have heard those lights are good as well. Anybody who does any go-fast stuff at night knows lighting is crucial. I suggest mounting thm far enough back on the roof that they don't shine any light on the hood to glare.

have you seen JCR rack, I dont think that would get ripped off very easy (compared to the Carr aluminum racks). Well I guess it is only as strong as the drip rail/roof seem....

Still, its only 2 bolts a quick disconnect wire plug and the rack is safe in my jeep.

Im in college in NY right now, but was considering heading out west and getting into "go fast" wheeling.

glad to hear you buddies lights worked as the should.

IMO I would never put something that expensive on my roof. for a couple reasons.
1) Ive heard far too many times of people having their auxiliary lights broken by vandals. all it would take is a rod, and 30 seconds for you to out 400+ bucks.
2) with the type of wheeling I do, pretty much anything Ive tried to put past the body of my XJ has gotten ripped off, and the same has gone for all my friends. luckily my snorkel has made it, but east coast wheeling often puts you in tight spots, whether its going under trees, branches, etc.
3) I had 4 cheapo lights that i put on my roof rack for a while. they worked great offroad. sure they were no hellas, but do i REALLY need to see 800 yards down the trail....no. think about it, when your day wheeling, what are you really focusing on. no more then 10 yards infront of you. the wallyworld lights i had supplied plenty of light, were cheap, and when i ripped everysingle one off on a trail one night, i wasn't too upset about it. i was out 60 bucks. had it been hellas..i would have cried.
5) look at a lot of truely built rigs, and see how many of them have put extra money into expensive lighting...very few. its just too fragile of a part to invest a lot of money into, where the outside of rigs are normally beat by the elements
Those are cheap lights...

As for the OP, you'd be better off spending slightly less for the Hella 4000 Halogen's, or Soltek Lapaz Halogen's. The Kragen HID's have a horrible beam pattern, and start to rotate in their housings after a few hard trips. Lots of guys started trying them out on their trucks out here in the go fast world, didn't work out at all. Hell, a buddy has them on his relatively stock Tundra, and they've rotated.

Back