• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Driveshaft differences 35vs44

redsand187

NAXJA Forum User
I am wondering what the difference between the driveshaft length and yoke between a Dana 35 and Dana 44 rear end.

The reason I ask, is I can get a great deal on a SYE for my 242 from a guy about 30 minutes away from me, but he is running a 44 rear end whereas I still have the 35.

Is the yoke different at all? Or is it just the length that is different?

If you run a SYE you will need a new driveshaft anyway. You need one with a CV joint and a slip yolk like the front has. There is an excellent chance you can use another front shaft for now, but the rears won't work.

To answer your question though, the yolks are the same, but the D35 shaft is slightly longer than a 44, and a 8.25 shaft is even shorter.

I forgot to mention he has the driveshaft as well. He was running about the same amount of lift as me. The driveshaft is roughly 32.75 compressed, 35.75 extended, so I guess I need to take some measurements.

the difference in pinion length between a 44 and 35 is about 3/4" or so. So technically the driveshaft would need to be lengthened that amount for your rig. I doubt it will make a difference.

vewy good gwasshoppa..

yeap. its hard to guess how long you'll need.

my guess is that it may be a little short. the 44 has a longer pinion yoke (IIRC) and the SYE pertrudes more than the stock cone. my guess is it would be AROUND where it needs to be. but i doubt it will be right on.

do some measuring

edit, oh the pinion length is only that much bigger on the 44. itd be cheap to get it lengthened. at least cheaper than buying a new one

rocklandxjer said:
vewy good gwasshoppa..

yeap. its hard to guess how long you'll need.

my guess is that it may be a little short. the 44 has a longer pinion yoke (IIRC) and the SYE pertrudes more than the stock cone. my guess is it would be AROUND where it needs to be. but i doubt it will be right on.

do some measuring

edit, oh the pinion length is only that much bigger on the 44. itd be cheap to get it lengthened. at least cheaper than buying a new one

Actually a SYE kit tail cone protrudes less than a stock tail cone, hence all the advertisements about being able to run a longer drive shaft with a SYE mod to your transfer case.

For what it's worth, I went from an 8.25 to a D-44 and after that added 1.5 inch shackles to my 6.5 rear springs and still have the same TW drive shaft.

But, best bet, swap the axles, put it on the ground and measure.
FYI, see Tom Woods tech page for measurement locations, etc.

Back