• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Starter interchageability (?)

Oatmeal

NAXJA Forum User
Just had to put a new starter (they're not cheap!) in my '96 and was thinking of going to the local Pick-A-Part to pick up a spare. Since most (all) of the ones I've come across are Renix motored, I was wondering if the starters are the same as the one my '96 (HO) uses. BTW it's an automatic. Thanks, in advance-------Hans

I beleive they are all the same misibisbushi model, i would recomend you take it to a reliable starter rebuilder and do that instead of buying a repalcement.

pete

jeepsrock said:
I beleive they are all the same misibisbushi model, i would recomend you take it to a reliable starter rebuilder and do that instead of buying a repalcement.

pete
I already put a new starter in....just would like to carry one for a spare (can't push start an auto). They look very similar to Toyota starters and with the Toyota starters, it's usually just the solenoid contacts that go bad (about 95% of the time).......easy fix but, didn't have the time to dork around with the starter when the Jeep was needed for the boss' (the Mrs.) daily driving duty.......Thanks!--------Hans

It has been my experience that the starters all interchange on the 4.0's. I have the starter from a '98 on my '88 and the starter from a '95 on my 90. It doesn't seem to matter about auto/manual tranny, either.

ren said:
It has been my experience that the starters all interchange on the 4.0's. I have the starter from a '98 on my '88 and the starter from a '95 on my 90. It doesn't seem to matter about auto/manual tranny, either.
Thanks, that's the answer I was hoping for------------Hans

Back