• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

95 XJ from Canada

treky67

NAXJA Forum User
Well i managed to scoop up a dirt cheap 95 cherokee, 4.0L high output d30/8.25 AW4 auto trans, and a 231 t-case. it wasn't perfect definitely a diamond in the rough. But it was 500$ and the four wheel drive works. So i did all the tune up stuff make sure it runs good, then ordered a rough country 6.5" lift and stumbled across a set or brand new 35x12.5R15 with rims. Rims aren't great but they will do. I installed the lift with help from matt, trimmed the fenders and a few other things here and there. So far invested 2200$ including the price of the jeep, not bad for a trail rig. So without any more delay pictures:D

Still left to do bumpers, rockers, a little bit of body work and maybe an axle upgrade in the future, enjoy.
sorry for the pictures not quite sure how you put them in the order you want, so their kinda all over the map, but you get the idea.

Well i managed to scoop up a dirt cheap 95 cherokee, 4.0L high output d30/8.25 AW4 auto trans, and a 231 t-case. it wasn't perfect definitely a diamond in the rough. But it was 500$ and the four wheel drive works. So i did all the tune up stuff make sure it runs good, then ordered a rough country 6.5" lift and stumbled across a set or brand new 35x12.5R15 with rims. Rims aren't great but they will do. I installed the lift with help from matt, trimmed the fenders and a few other things here and there. So far invested 2200$ including the price of the jeep, not bad for a trail rig. So without any more delay pictures:D

Still left to do bumpers, rockers, a little bit of body work and maybe an axle upgrade in the future, enjoy.
sorry for the pictures not quite sure how you put them in the order you want, so their kinda all over the map, but you get the idea.

peel that crap off the lower body, all it does it hold moisture against the sheetmetal, nasty stuff

Looks good!!

oh and pull the rear carpet and check for umm nasty-ness near the wheelwells, specially where the front of the rear wheel tubs meet the floor

yeah the trim will be coming off when the jeep is painted a lovely shade of orange. And Ive also looked around needs some floors, needs some patches in the rear cargo area etc. As well as my rockers. Those need to have some steel tubing installed. In other words the list goes on and on.......

I don't know if i mentioned it before but this is going to be a build thread of sorts...so bear with me and ill try and up date it with new things that i do to the jeep here and there over time. So check back every once in a while, there might be some thing new.

IMO the wheels look sick....are they just in bad condition?

well took the jeep wheelen this weekend in my back yard. Did pretty good but the welded D30 didn't like the 35's and i like detonated the spiders broke the rear window glass and some other body damage but had a good time none the less......PICS

All this in my back yard, not to bad eh.....

The wheels are just in bad shape, need to be sand blasted and painted. Yeah the front axle was pretty must scrap...But about 6 welding rods later turned spider gears into a spool. Should hold up a little better the first time i welded it i tried to do minimal welding so i wouldn't have a hard time if i had to take it apart. This time i just went all out.

well started on my front bumper, its very similar to what most guys build for their cherokee's. It will still have a stinger added and possibly a pocket for a winch. Another one of my goals was to make the entire bumper using 8"x3/16 plate and 4"x3/16 plate. That way there i saved both money on material and having to cut it to width. I should have my steel to actually build the bumper.

Started off removing the factory bumper and trimming the front fenders to the same line as the front fenders.

Next i drilled the 4"x5/8 plate, using 1/2" drill. I drilled for the 3 factory holes and 1 other hole that connects through to the steering box. and simply has a clearance hole on the passenger side.

An hour or so later after cutting up a bunch of cardboard and painters tape. I came up with this, again using only 8" or 4" wide strips of of cardboard. I should have some shots tomorrow with some actual steel on the jeep. Enjoy....

Last edited:
So made some very good progress on the bumper today had my buddy matt come over and hit the grinding wheels hard. 3 hours later we arose with this need to finish welding grinding and at a few supports here and there. I ended up using 1/4" steel because is was a little more available.

Started of cutting pieces from the templates i made out of cardboard. They worked out perfect.

Oh and i also made these at work as well.

Next came alot of fitting welding fitting welding etc.... until it was time to finish well all of the inside.

Next it was thrown up on the bench/folding table and the last few piece where added and every thing was burned in.

And last but not least back bolted to the jeep to test fit and take some pictures. It turned out much better than i was expecting and i still would like to add a stinger before its painted. Feel free to comment, ask question any thing. I'm trying to get a decent build thread started with very little luck:tears:

Enjoy, thanks.

Back