• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

coolant overflows the overflow tank and stops from running

TGFH

NAXJA Forum User
The plot thickens - I posted yesterday about my 98 XJ missing - well decided to take it for a good long drive - it never ever registered on the gauge over 220 but the overflow tank overflowed and got all over the distributor. Now there's an exciting miss fire!! Miss aside for now but -

Can this be from the wrong water pump? i.e. a Grand Cherokee pump? I even went back to the parts store and had them check the number on the box - it was right. The other thing is I replaced the deer damaged radiator with another from a 98 (used) and I replaced the thermostat with a new one - put the new in the same direction the old one came out -spring side in toward the block.

Anyway after it sat for 3 hours it started great and I almost got home before it did it again -
Also I could hear - and felt - a boiling noise in the lower radiator hose.

side note - now the heater doesn't blow hot air.

Replace the radiator cap. You should do that about every two years anyway.

Is it like combusiton gases bubbling up in the radiator? That would be lke head gasket.

Sure sounds like a head/head gasket, or the radiator is plugged, or you got a bum thermostat.

Rent a tester at the parts store--you will have to buy the chemical kit, and check your coolant for combustion gasses.

Post results.

Okay - been out in the garage for the past 2 hours and I am ONLY telling you this so you can avoid it - - working on your Jeep with a couple friends - beer and a lot of laughs - DOES NOT equal good work habits!!!!

You know those red caps they put on a radiator so crap stays out until you install it? WELL guess what I found - yep - what an ass!!!!

Thanks for all your feedback - but it was human (beer) error! Will test it in the morning - but . . . . .

Yep go ahead say it.

Ok, I will say it...

Glad you figured it out. :D

Beer goggles.

Back