• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

quick 8.8 swap question

G.P_XJ

NAXJA Forum User
im planning on swapping an 8.8 into my '92 cherokee, what i cant figure out is if i need to do anything to the braking system (master cylander, booster, exc...) when going from drums to discs?

Thanks
Garrett

Some folks remove the o-ring in the plunger in the proportioning valve to help with the rear caliper pressure and the brake pedal.

Some folks swap the proportioning valve to one from a ZJ, since they were valved differently because of the factory rear disks.

In the short term, a lot of folks are running without any modifications. I would suggest that you finish your install, get a feel for how the brakes work and then decide if you think you need anything additional.

Your stock master and booster are fine.

Just like redheep said, get it swapped first. You can swap just the valve and spring out of a zj prop valve. I put zj discs on about two years ago and still have not swapped the valve. Brakes seem fine to me. Don't remove the o ring...you can loose pressure to all your brakes if you get a leak.

Back