• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 35 c-clip and non c-clip question

Warlock1

NAXJA Forum User
My XJ is a '91 Laredo. My D35 is a c-clip axle with ABS and has 4.10 gears and a Detroit locker. Is it possible to take an older set of non c-clip axles and use them in my newer D35 to get rid of the c-clips?Has anyone ever done this?

I searched but couldn't find anything on this subject.

Thanks guys!

Last edited:
1) Note that "D35C" doesn't mean it's a C-clip axle - that just means "custom," and means that the axle wasn't shipped as an assembly (the bare housing was shipped instead.) Some early D35Cs were bolt-in shafts with pressed bearings.

2) I don't believe so (the screw pattern on the end is different,) but I've not yet addressed that particular question with Dana directly yet (it's on my list.)

3) However, an earlier D35 bolt-in will be a drop-in swap, and you can also swap in the C8.25" (grab the driveshaft that comes with it, the pinion on the ChryCo is longer than on the Dana...) with minimal effort. You may have to change the park brake cables, I believe the flex line attaches in the same manner, and if you don't have ABS, it's a home run. And, tho the ChryCo is a C-clip axle, I do believe C-clip eliminator kits are available for it...

4) There's also the Explorer 8.8. I know C-clip eliminator kits are available for it, the Explorer version comes with rear disc as well (necessitating a master cylinder swap, of course...) and it's stronger than the ChryCo 8.25". However, you do have to have bracketry cut off and burned on to make it work (spring pads and shock tabs.) And, you will have to grab & mod or make a driveshaft - the Explorer 8.8 (most of them, I believe) uses a companion flange instead of a yoke to attach the driveshaft. This isn't a bad thing - just different.

The Ford 8.8" was found under a good deal of later Ford vehicles, the Explorer happens to be the closest to a direct swap under the XJ (I think the Ranger is next, then you can go to a "full-width" swap with the F150 and E150 variants. I believe the lug pattern on the Explorer and Ranger is the same as on our XJ - the full-size will be different. Stay away from the 7-lug metric pattern - it's the biggest pain in the arse to match up to! Ford exclusive.)

I appreciate the reply.

Thank you, but I know that I could change the rear axle to something else, but that's not what I'm asking here. I know there are several rear axle options (8.25, 8 3/4, 8.8, D44, D60, D70, Rockwell, etc...) maybe I should have been a little more descriptive in my original post.

With that said, the rear axle I am working with is a freshly rebuilt D35, all new bearings, seals, 4.10 gears, and Detroit locker. I want to stay with this axle for now and I want to get rid of the C-clips if it is a relatively easy mod. If the non C-clip axles were an easy bolt in affair, and I could go down to my local pick-n-pull jy, then it seems to me that it would be an easy way to upgrade the reliability of the D35.

I'm just wondering a couple of things;

-Is the housing the same on both axles?
-If not, then would my Detroit locker and gears work in the non C-clip axle if I decided to pick up one at the junk yard?
-Is the spline count and axle diameter the same?
-Is the bolt pattern on the flange end of the axle the same?
-Or could I simply put pressed on bearings on what I have?
You know, things of this nature.

Also, I would imagine that the bolt in non C-clip axles wouldn't have to be trashed if an outer bearing goes bad since the rollers wouldn't ride directly on the axle itself, it would have a pressed on race/bearing assembly. And of course the major bonus of not losing the axle if the little C-clip cutout in the end of the axle breaks.

This is what I was thinking.

Thanks

Last edited:
The housing is different as are the wheel bearings!

I didn't know if you'd spent money on the thing already or not, and I was offering alternatives.

@RCP - have you had a chance to measure bearings and compare housing ends? I know that's where the differences would be, and the housing ends are a bigger problem to overcome than bearing differences (you can always look up bearings by dimension if you have to - I've done that on a number of occasions for some very odd jobs.) If you still have your notes comparing the two, I'd like to see them.

I also know that there is usually a difference between lockers for C-clip versions and non-C versions of a given axle, and I'm not sure if the difference is simply a provision for the removal of those wretched C-clips. If it is, and the splines are elsewise the same, at least you're not looking at having to buy a new locker. That may be a question for Detroit (Eaton?)

Thanks guys! That's what I was looking for.

5-90, cool, no problem, I appreciate the thought. It was my fault for not being more clear in my original post.

RCP and JXPEEJ, oh well, I kinda thought that might be the case. It was worth a shot.

Can anyone else corroborate the Detroit locker fitment issue? Not saying that I doubt anyone, I just like as much info as possible before I jump into this.

BTT

Back