• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need some ball-joint/knuckle info

thethinginthewoods

NAXJA Forum User
I am trying to replace the ball joints on my '89 non-disco hp d30 and understand that the lower joint uses a threaded tapered adjuster sleeve for tightening the slop between the ball stud and housing. It looks as though the ball joints have NEVER been serviced or replaced. The adjuster ring is completely rusted and seized and it looks as if there is no hope for recvering the threads inside the knuckle.

I was looking at the close-up photos of new knuckles on quadratec and it looks like 90+ models have a plain bore through both top and bottom of the knuckle, while the 84-89 models have the larger lower bore with threads for the adjuster sleeve.

Is this correct? Because I would gladly exchange my new ball joints and pick up some "new" 90+ knuckles for an updated design.

The adjuster sleeve is on the lower left of this photo:
D30-44balljoint.gif

84-89 Driver side:
89knuckle.jpg

90+ Driver side:
90knuckleD.jpg

84-89 Pass. side:
89knuckleP.jpg

90+ Pass. side:
90knuckleP.jpg

Thanks!

Last edited:
Okay i dont know how much help this is but..

I just did the ball joints on my rig last month, The new ones came with that threaded part, While my old ones did not look like they had them, I put the ball joints in without them.. i was puzzled on what the hell that peice was for, and still have it just in case i kill 12 people in a bloody car crash, someone can search my garage and find the culprit for the failure:wierd:

Okay i dont know how much help this is but...
i was puzzled on what the hell that peice was for, and still have it just in case i kill 12 people in a bloody car crash, someone can search my garage and find the culprit for the failure:wierd:

:scared: :doh: :roll:

I know most of the time you can re-use the old sleeve and not even mess with it, but excessive wear between the sleeve and stud can cause the stud to shear with little to no warning.

well, I could not get it to fit anywhere. I even called the dealership and asked, they said if it dont fit the sleeve then mine dont have that peice.. I know my front axle is not the original axle so i took that as an okay.

I did the upper and lower ball joints on my 89 XJ less than a year ago.
Neither of them had threaded adjuster parts and the new ones didn't come with them either.

Michael

I did the upper and lower ball joints on my 89 XJ less than a year ago.
Neither of them had threaded adjuster parts and the new ones didn't come with them either.

Michael

That's really strange. I take it your d30 is stock and wasn't swapped in or anything?

I work at a parts house and looked up info on ball joints and knuckles in our Moog catalog today and the only info i could find was a change in design of the lower ball joint from 89-90 and up. My catalog and a picture verification showed all years of ball joints for the XJ had a threaded adjuster sleeve. the ball joints still look to be exactly the same from what I could tell, but we didn't have any in stock to pull off the shelf and physically compare with the older style I bought a week ago.

I think I am going to pop the knuckle and ball joints out and thoroughly inspect the adjuster sleeve and new stud to see if they will mesh up within spec. If not, I might be on the search for some new or "new" knuckles!

Just Empty Every Pocket

$$$

That's really strange. I take it your d30 is stock and wasn't swapped in or anything?

I work at a parts house and looked up info on ball joints and knuckles in our Moog catalog today and the only info i could find was a change in design of the lower ball joint from 89-90 and up. My catalog and a picture verification showed all years of ball joints for the XJ had a threaded adjuster sleeve. the ball joints still look to be exactly the same from what I could tell, but we didn't have any in stock to pull off the shelf and physically compare with the older style I bought a week ago.

I think I am going to pop the knuckle and ball joints out and thoroughly inspect the adjuster sleeve and new stud to see if they will mesh up within spec. If not, I might be on the search for some new or "new" knuckles!

Just Empty Every Pocket

$$$

Correct. Stock D30, not swapped in (1989 model year).
I put Moog ball joints in and had no adjuster sleeves at all.

Michael

The adjuster sleeves are there to adjust play in the joints out. if not adjusted proper your new joints will go away fast. if tou soak them with PB Blaster or WD 40 they should free up, Snap On sells a socket for adjusting the sleeve, I recomend getting a socket, and work it loose.

Back