• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

? tcase

regal200021

NAXJA Forum User
i have a 242 that is bad in my xj ....
what tcases will inter change with it ??? new to the hole xj thing
what t case is better and all that too ??

Regal

Last edited:
There's a loaded question.

Given that you've got a 242, you've got a 4.0l and almost certainly an AW4 automatic transmission. The other tcase is an NP231.

The big difference between the 2 is that the 242 is a full time capable 4x4 transfer case. It's got a viscous coupling in the differential that will operation on dry pavement and at road speeds. The 231 shouldn't be operated on high traction surfaces in 4wd.

ChiXJeff said:
The big difference between the 2 is that the 242 is a full time capable 4x4 transfer case. It's got a viscous coupling in the differential that will operation on dry pavement and at road speeds. The 231 shouldn't be operated on high traction surfaces in 4wd.

Regal,

ChiXJeff said it well, but the 242 has a true center differential, not a viscous coupling. The TCD allows the tcase to accomodate the slip between the front and rear axles (which travel different distances in a turn) without significant loss of torque.

The 242 is a great tcase - a variant is used in the H1. The really cool thing it does is on-road 4x4 (aka AWD). In the wet, your 4L has enough torque to spin the rear tires, but with AWD, the front wheels bite too. No spin, and off you go. You can drive in AWD all year long, even in summer on dry roads. You can't do that with the 231.

The 231 is a bolt-in used in the lower-cost models. It's lighter and is considered by some to be a bit tougher. Reduction gear sets are easier to find for the 231, nearly impossible to find for the 242...but the 242 only came with an automatic, so reduction gear sets are not required (the torque converter gives you as much as a 2x torque multiplier).

As to which is better - you'll be happy with anything that works. I believe the 248 will also work for you.

My personal vote is for the 242...and dontcha just love the seats in the Limited?

Out of curiosity, can the 242 be used with a manual tranny? I have a 88XJ with a manual and 231. In case I ever need to replace the t-case, will a 242 work? Would it give me 4WD capability on pavement and at high speed, or do I need to swap other equipment out as well to get that capability?

so how hard is it to find a 242 cuz i am in need of one lol can i rebuild or just find a diffrent one ... this one has over 250 k on it

Regal

ps thanks for the info so far

I have an '89 Limited...Wagoneer. Love the 242 for the full-time capability...My case has 258,000 original miles on it...still going strong. I wouldn't give up the 242.

it like the chain is jumping or some thing like that when u give it gas it goses kerchunk kerchunk lol dont do it in two wheel drive dose it in reverse and drive do they make a rebuild kit sounds like a good tcase

one more ? would a tcase out of a 89 s10 blazer work if i had to put it in i am not sure what kind it is or any thing i will find out on sunday

thanks for your help every one

Regal

desertred said:
Out of curiosity, can the 242 be used with a manual tranny? I have a 88XJ with a manual and 231. In case I ever need to replace the t-case, will a 242 work? Would it give me 4WD capability on pavement and at high speed, or do I need to swap other equipment out as well to get that capability?

Can't think of any reason why not. Is the H1 available with a manual transmission? (the other common application for a 242)

The 242 is much more expensive than a 231, so consider the mfgr's thinking: the 242 is a premium option with a premium price. Do you pair that with a low-cost manual transmission? I don't think so.

Note also that you can't get the Limited trim package with a manual transmission. Same thing.

regal200021 said:
it like the chain is jumping or some thing like that when u give it gas it goses kerchunk kerchunk lol dont do it in two wheel drive dose it in reverse and drive do they make a rebuild kit sounds like a good tcase

one more ? would a tcase out of a 89 s10 blazer work if i had to put it in i am not sure what kind it is or any thing i will find out on sunday

thanks for your help every one

Regal

Bad u-joints do that also, the s10 will not work.

Back