• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cross Pin Failure (pics inside)

bmyohn

NAXJA Forum User
Driving down the wet roads today, I had a load clunk from the rear end at 45mph. The motor immediately shut off. I limped it off the road in in 4wd to examine what went wrong. The rear driveshaft still spun so i knew that the TC was fine. had to be something with the gears. while limping it a few miles back home I was hoping the ring and pinion didn't fail and knowing that it was nearly impossible that i snapped the axle shaft just going down the road.

I got home and got the rear diff cover off. This is what came out in the cover:

IMG_0112.jpg

Inside the diff:

IMG_0104.jpg

The failed cross pin:

IMG_0114.jpg

IMG_0113.jpg

The rest of the things that came out as well:

IMG_0110.jpg

C-clip:
IMG_0111.jpg

So my questions are:
What are my options in this situation?
Do the gears need to be completely reset?
Is the carrier still okay?

Looks like an ABS tone ring behind that ring gear, so I suspect a D35. That's good, if you've removed the carrier, you can reinstall it without having to set up the ring gear again (8.25 has eccentric adjusters under the bearing caps.)

Me, I'd find a new cross pin and retaining bolt, reassemble it and go, as long as there aren't any chips taken out of any other parts.

Of course, it'd also be nice to figure out just WHY that cross pin failed.

That would explain why this is in Mod Tech. :laugh:

Still, as long as it doesn't have eccentrics under the bearing caps, you shouldn't have to do a gear setup.

I'd still be more interested in figuring out why it cracked, though.

yeah, ive been searching and i cant seem to figure out why it would fail. im glad this failed before something bigger did though. what was odd was that it failed going straight down the road at 45mph

Looks like they just gutted the limited slip diff, then. From my rather limited knowledge, I don't why you wouldn't have been able to keep the LSD.

That pic definitely shows a limited slip. You should be able to replace the crosspin and put it back together but I would start saving for a 8.25 or better axle. This is just the first of many failures in a D35.

That pic definitely shows a limited slip. You should be able to replace the crosspin and put it back together but I would start saving for a 8.25 or better axle. This is just the first of many failures in a D35.

Im pretty sure I have a stronger axle than a D35 and an 8.25. And a D44 for that matter, but I'm not gonna spark that discussion

So what are my options here?
Get a new cross pin? Install a full case locker? Lunchbox locker? what do you guys recommend?

Put a new cross pin in it.

Don't buy a "notched" one like the one that just broke. They have a reputation for snapping. Get a full one, grind a couple teeth to fit it over the ring gear and it should be fine.

That looks just like the LSD carrier that was in my 8.8 and it still has the clutch packs installed.

Well I guess the guys who did my regear didn't take the LSD like I asked. Oh well.

A new cross pin will probably be my best option, gotta save some money. Where can I pick up new spider gears as well?

Well I guess the guys who did my regear didn't take the LSD like I asked. Oh well.

A new cross pin will probably be my best option, gotta save some money. Where can I pick up new spider gears as well?

How fast do you need to fix it?

I posted in the WF thread too.

I have an open carrier and an LSD carrier in the garage. I can put either one in the mail and we can settle up at the Badlands.

looks to me like the retaining pin that holds it in might have come out. perhaps the cross pin then started to come out of the carrier on one side, and at some point got far enough out to catch on something (pinion etc.) and snap it clean in half since the carrier was rotating. you may want to check the pinion teeth for damage and the carrier for cracks where the cross pin goes through. just an idea, hard to say what happened but that seems logical to me. was the retaining pin in place when you pulled the diff cover? or were both halves of the cross pin in the bottom of the diff?

Back