• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How hard to put new engine in?

95cherokee33s

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 92 Jeep Cherokee and have a new engine for it, from a 92 cherokee. WHat all is involved in simply pulling the old motor and putting the new one in? Any trick parts, or hard bellhosing bolts to get to?

95cherokee33s said:
or hard bellhosing bolts to get to?
Yes, unless the engine/trans have been separated before and maybe even if they have you will have E-12 or E-13 (I forget which) Torx head bolts up at the top of the bellhousing. The easiest way I have found is to drop the transmission crossmember and let the engine tilt as far backwards as possible. Then use about 3 feet of extensions with a 1/2 drive wrench to get up there. Wobble extensions or u-joints are very helpful. Honestly its not too bad, just make sure you get a good bite on those bolts because if they get stripped out...you're not going to have much fun.

Agree with the above. I also had a bear of a time getting a torque wrench on some of the intake/exhaust bolts. I installed these items after I dropped the engine in the bay. I could have just come down to the tools I had, but if you can assemble these items prior to dropping the engine, it may make life a bit easier. My XJ was also the first time I replaced an engine, so I may have been taking on a bit of a learning curve, as well.

it's alot easier if you just disconnect the exhaust at the exhaust manifold flange and leave the intake/exhaust manifold attached to the engine when you pull it. the intake/exhaust manifold is so much easier to get to when the engine is out.

Remove the knock sensor (still included on '92 model?), O2 sensor (if its mounted above the manifold flange gasket) and crank position sensor prior to pulling the engine so you dont snag them and snap them off into the block.

You could also pull it with transmission and transfer case attached. The few I've done were done this way. Once it is all out it is easy to get at everything.

Back