• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 30 Diff cover, to trim, or not to trim?

Jeepnube

NAXJA Forum User
I already did a search and didnt find what I was looking for. I would like some input and opinions please, thanks in advance! I would like to know if the D30 cover is prone to hanging up on rocks like the 8.25 is. I have already trimmed my 8.25 cover after snagging it at Superlift. Once again, thank you!

Last edited:
I would say if your getting into such rocks that you need to trim a D30 you may want to move upto a bigger/stronger axle.
unless you get a ruffstuff dif cover (or can find one near as strong) you'd have a hard time trimming and retaining as much strength as required to keep the housing from flexing and ruining your gears/shafts.

or you could make/mod a dif cover so that it has a bit of a ramp a the front to slide over any obstacles.

I think you'll be ok in the rocks with a 30 as long as you keep it reasonable. I've got front and back ruffstuff covers. I just put some light scratches on it last trip out and completely mangled the drain screw but its still holding strong.

I guess that was more directed at beakie's response than the OP.

Ok, I shaved the lip off of my 8.25 diff cover after I beat it back into shape, I was just wondering if there was a risk of me pulling the front diff cover off if I had to reverse off of a rock, and if there was a way I could minimize it, there are diff covers in my future, but not immediately. I try to finess over obstacles, and only get on the throttle if neccesary, but I ain't scared of it tho! While wheeling I try to keep the lowest point of the trail/obstacle under my diffs and as close to the midline of the vehicle if possible.:viking:

Last edited:
Ok, I shaved the lip off of my 8.25 diff cover after I beat it back into shape, I was just wondering if there was a risk of me pulling the front diff cover off if I had to reverse off of a rock, and if there was a way I could minimize it, there are diff covers in my future, but not immediately. I try to finess over obstacles, and only get on the throttle if neccesary, but I ain't scared of it tho! While wheeling I try to keep the lowest point of the trail/obstacle under my diffs and as close to the midline of the vehicle if possible.:viking:

The one on my XJ is bent from my last outing. I took it off and try to beat it back into shape. It still leak oil slowly. Getting a Ruff Stuff or similar is advised.

I have ruff stuff covers on both ends and have slammed into numerous rocks without a problem. I'm not even sure I'll be able to pull the front cover off because the bolts are practically ground away.

I don't think there's much reason to trim anything, just give it more pedal and slide over the rocks lol.

Back