• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Renix Cooling symplification, ramnifications?

xcm

NAXJA Forum User
So recently, after my old radiator had a play date with the buisness end of a screwdriver, i deceided to simplify the cooling system on my DD 1990 4.0 xj. Bought a genesis aluminum radiator for a 1992 xj, and routed it directly, eliminating the heater valve and overflow bottle. (off subject but also took the chance to ditch the windshield fluid bottle/pump assy, and cruise control. a success full diet indeed! lots of free space now! still needs a cleanup, i know! )

After the swap... it warms up quicker, blows hot air and defrosts better than before, and it runs amazingly cool. No matter the situation. Taco bell at 2am rush hour, or Los Angeles freeway traffic at 3pm, 3/8's. Ive yet to see it hit 1/2.

I am very happy....
...but is the jeep? am i overcooling?

You dumped the pressure bottle, but did you add a recovery bottle? Other than that, sounds like a good upgrade--no valve, no pressure bottle, all the little POS hoses and clamps gone.

I'm still running closed system, w/o heater valve, with ZJ HD fan, stays about 200~205 degrees all the time. Manual trans, single-core metal tank radiator put in by PO.

a friend did the swap a year or two ago, and noticed absolutely NOTHING going into his recovery bottle, so i deceided not to run one. the blue hose in the pic is routed down from the bend in the middle of the radiator, havent seen anything get douched out yet..
vandero

I plan on doing mine too. I was going to try to scare up the heater hose hard lines that the newer ones use. That would help clean up the water neck area a bit. You going to leave the pressure bottle tray? No shroud or E-fan?

A correctly working open system will always see fluid going in and out of the recovery bottle if it is full and burped. The recovery bottle handles the fact that the antifreeze expands when it gets hot and shrinks when it gets cool. If it is full and not burping, you might be ending up with excessive pressures in the cooling system.

a friend did the swap a year or two ago, and noticed absolutely NOTHING going into his recovery bottle, so i deceided not to run one. the blue hose in the pic is routed down from the bend in the middle of the radiator, havent seen anything get douched out yet..
vandero

Maybe your friend is using a pressure cap grater than 16 lbs.

lots of people are pointing out that without an overflow, no coolant can get sucked in....

to these people, i ask if theyve ever looked at an overflow bottle? i know both joe_peters and old_man are great sources of information, but theres no outlet for coolant to get outta the overflow bottle besides the one near the cap, that would only let coolant out if it was filled to the brim.

what should i be looking out for? cause im not convinced i need an overflow bottle, and a howstuffworks link doesnt help.

I just used a plastic jar for an overflow, and it hardly ever gets water in it, and I am using a stock cap.

lots of people are pointing out that without an overflow, no coolant can get sucked in....

to these people, i ask if theyve ever looked at an overflow bottle? i know both joe_peters and old_man are great sources of information, but theres no outlet for coolant to get outta the overflow bottle besides the one near the cap, that would only let coolant out if it was filled to the brim.

what should i be looking out for? cause im not convinced i need an overflow bottle, and a howstuffworks link doesnt help.
The coolant recovery tube goes from the filler neck to the bottle. It attaches to the top of the bottle to a tube molded in to the bottle that goes to the bottom of the bottle, where it draws in coolant as the engine cools. The same thing can be achieved by simply attaching the tube to the bottom of a generic type of bottle. If the system (meaning the block and radiator) is full and properly bled, it should expell some coolant into the overflow bottle as it warms up. After the engine is shut off and it begins to cool, the vaccum in the system pulls fluid back in from the coolant bottle. If yours is not expelling any coolant then it is not full or there is air in the system.

Don't know about a renix vintage system, but most of the vehicles I've driven had a dip tube from the cap(of the bottle) or the hose entered the bottom of the bottle with an overflow provision at the cap.:dunno:

Back